dulling planer knives
(01-16-2018, 12:00 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: For a while DW 735 knives had a reputation for not being durable. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Either way it sounds insane to go through two double sided sets. I have the 734 and it's fantastic. I've always had issues nicking my knives both on it and on my Grizzly 6" jointer (HSS knives of course), so I don't really know how to gauge durability very well.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I just got done running about 300 linear feet of reclaimed pine 4/4x8x10 through my DW734. Started Saturday and finished last night. Went through one set of knives. I am waiting on my new knives from Global Tooling and supply to come in the mail so that I can do the final plain-ing. Yes, everyone suggestions would have been helpful in saving my knives, using 80grit sand paper to knock off the dirt and debris. I just used a wire brush to scrap off the dirt. But I think dirt and oldness will really wear down the knives faster than you think. I have never tried carbide knives due to price and how brittle they are. Check out global tooling and supply. I was surprised how inexpensive the HSS knives are. 37.00 for 3 knives for the DW 734.
(01-17-2018, 12:14 AM)bmich Wrote: I just got done running about 300 linear feet of reclaimed pine 4/4x8x10 through my DW734.  Started Saturday and finished last night.  Went through one set of knives.  I am waiting on my new knives from Global Tooling and supply to come in the mail so that I can do the final plain-ing.  Yes, everyone suggestions would have been helpful in saving my knives, using 80grit sand paper to knock off the dirt and debris.  I just used a wire brush to scrap off the dirt. But I think dirt and oldness will really wear down the knives faster than you think.  I have never tried carbide knives due to price and how brittle they are. Check out global tooling and supply. I was surprised how inexpensive the HSS knives are.  37.00 for 3 knives for the DW 734.

Must've been A LOT of chips, shavings and dust to clean up! I can't remember the last time I changed my 734's knives...been a few years at least, but there's been a lot of downtime as well since I was living away from where my tools were up until October 2016. I'm just glad the knives are self-setting. Doing my jointer knives is kind of a pain, even with the magnetic jig I have.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I did my jointer a while back, it was a huge pain to get them in the right place. I had roughly 5-25 gallon buckets of chips. from the jointer and plainer. I'm in the process of making reclaimed hardwood floors. There is a shop in Chicago, Rebuilding exchange that sells reclaimed lumber around 1.00 per board foot.