The Move is On!
Arrived safely in Orlando yesterday.  Most of my stuff is in storage until we find and close on a house.  I'm no trucker, and I hauled a small U-Haul trailer 2500+ miles from SoCal to Orlando.  Pretty decent weather the whole way except for some rain the second day.  Got to spend a couple of days with my parents in Texas.  Dad's 86 and Mom's 82 and they are still pretty lucid.  It's nice driving now without a trailer behind me.  For the neighborhoods we're looking at, HOAs prevent sheds or outbuildings, so it's looking more and more like I might need to rent a small commercial space or find an extra large garage.  There are options, but living in a community that's in the school district we like that doesn't have HOA restrictions is pretty rare.  My daughter's education is more important than my hobby.  At a minimum, I'll keep my stuff in storage until I figure something out.  I'll probably also move the bandsaw, lathe, workbench, and tools in the garage.  Gotta have some connection to wood.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-27-2018, 08:44 PM)AHill Wrote: Arrived safely in Orlando yesterday.  Most of my stuff is in storage until we find and close on a house.  I'm no trucker, and I hauled a small U-Haul trailer 2500+ miles from SoCal to Orlando.  Pretty decent weather the whole way except for some rain the second day.  Got to spend a couple of days with my parents in Texas.  Dad's 86 and Mom's 82 and they are still pretty lucid.  It's nice driving now without a trailer behind me.  For the neighborhoods we're looking at, HOAs prevent sheds or outbuildings, so it's looking more and more like I might need to rent a small commercial space or find an extra large garage.  There are options, but living in a community that's in the school district we like that doesn't have HOA restrictions is pretty rare.  My daughter's education is more important than my hobby.  At a minimum, I'll keep my stuff in storage until I figure something out.  I'll probably also move the bandsaw, lathe, workbench, and tools in the garage.  Gotta have some connection to wood.

Glad to hear you made the drive successfully, that long a trip ain't no gimmie.  Think addition to the garage, just enough to give you the space you need.  I hate HOAs.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm glad to hear you made it.  

All of this about HOA's is new to me.  Just talking with my brother and he related that his neighbor's old van was hauled out away and confiscated after being warned by the HOA about parking in guest spaces. I was surprised that they could do that.  I do understand the thinking and hate to see businesses run out of garages, and motor homes up on jack stands all winter.  I sure hope you can find something that accommodates your woodworking.
(01-31-2018, 12:43 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I'm glad to hear you made it.  

All of this about HOA's is new to me.  Just talking with my brother and he related that his neighbor's old van was hauled out away and confiscated after being warned by the HOA about parking in guest spaces. I was surprised that they could do that.  I do understand the thinking and hate to see businesses run out of garages, and motor homes up on jack stands all winter.  I sure hope you can find something that accommodates your woodworking.

There are a lot of retirement communities in Orlando, which is part of the motivation for restrictive HOAs.  Another reason is we're looking for a home in relatively upscale communities.  They don't like "clutter" of things that make the community look less than upscale.  No biggie for me.  As I said before, my daughter's education is far more important to me than my woodworking hobby.  There are plenty of 3-car garages that can accommodate shop equipment.  I'll downscale to my turning stuff and my hand tools and leave the larger power tools in storage until I figure out an alternative.  One HOA we looked at wouldn't even allow sheds of ANY kind.  The only way around it was to attach the storage to your home.  One suggestion about expanding my garage was a good one.  As long as there's room on the property to do that, it's a viable option.  At this point, I just want to move into a home.  I'll happily store my TS, jointer, and planer and associated accessories in a storage facility.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thought I'd provide an update on my move.  We made an offer on a home in a suburb NW of Orlando, and should be under contract in a week or so.  It's a beautiful home with a pool and plenty of space for all the kids and potential grandkids when they come to visit.  It has a 3 car garage.  It's in a gated community with an HOA.  No sheds or out-buildings allowed.  I'll put my lathe, bandsaw, workbench, hand tools, and tool cabinets in the third stall of the garage.  For now, I plan on putting the TS, jointer, and planer in storage.  I haven't decided yet what to do with my miter saw and router table.  My inclination is storage.  I'm considering renting or purchasing a commercial space for my workshop, or even donating the tools to a coop that would allow me use of them.  In the end, finding a home that was close to where my 13 year old goes to school (exemplary school), and proximity to work were more important than finding space for all my tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Allen, best of luck on getting the house.
Sounds like you are a model parent, giving up your tools for the kid's sake.  In the long run you will be rewarded.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Congratulations on the new job and good luck with the house/shop. I've made the West Coast to East Coast drive before and it's anything but fun.