blackened corners
I have made a kitchen cabinet door for my son to replace one that was broken. I think I have matched the stain well enough but the edges and the inside corners have been blackened either for accent or to add that aged look. What is the best agent and best to  way to apply it? I am not really going to use stain. Tung oil (the wood is alder) matches real close. But I my knowledge on adding the blackening is sketchy.
A butane torch with a spreader tip.  Work it back and forth from a distance and gradually darken the corner.  Make a test piece first.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Defined black lines are done with a special tipped applicator; all I know about that.  Black in the nocks and crannies and corners is done with glaze.  You apply the glaze liberally over a sealed surface and then wipe off everything you don't want.  There are both OB and WB glazes available.  

John
(01-16-2018, 10:39 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Defined black lines are done with a special tipped applicator; all I know about that.  Black in the nocks and crannies and corners is done with glaze.  You apply the glaze liberally over a sealed surface and then wipe off everything you don't want.  There are both OB and WB glazes available.  

John

Suggest putting a coat of finish or shellac on before the glaze or gel stain.  It makes it easy to control it or remove it.  Then place another coat of finish on top.   Roly
What Roly said. I will add that OB glaze not only looks better because it penetrates more but you can also control it better. WB glaze works and acts very similar to regular latex paint, IMO. I don’t prefer oil based products anymore but this is one case that I do. Old Masters gel stain makes for a wonderful glazing product. I did what you’re doing to a whole set of kitchen cabinets with it. A spit coat of shellac seal coat would be a good first coat to take the glaze.

Thanks so much for the information. I feel a lot more comfortable about attempting the finish now. I will probably put a coat of touge oil on and then blacken.
(01-17-2018, 03:08 AM)pebbles Wrote: Thanks so much for the information. I feel a lot more comfortable about attempting the finish now. I will probably put a coat of touge oil on and then blacken.

Try it on samples first.   If you don't like the results, you haven't ruined the project.  Roly