Axe Recomendation
(01-24-2018, 08:54 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............
Hmmmm...do you want some strange jasper using your hi-dollar name-brand axe ??? I didn't think so..... Real men want their own axe.....
Laugh
Laugh

Well I ordered the Grunsfor Bruks forrest axe (25") and it arrived yesterday. Only had time to get it out of the box, inspect it, and shave some hairs off my arm. Really impressed with the way they shape the handle. Kind of makes me want to throw away my other axes and just get a few more Grunsfor's.

Going to be just the two of us in camp.
(01-24-2018, 04:25 PM)Scoony Wrote: Well I ordered the Grunsfor Bruks forrest axe (25") and it arrived yesterday. Only had time to get it out of the box, inspect it, and shave some hairs off my arm. Really impressed with the way they shape the handle. Kind of makes me want to throw away my other axes and just get a few more Grunsfor's.

Going to be just the two of us in camp.
Word of advice...Dont put it in your sleeping bag.....
Rolleyes
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

While out and about, today...

Interesting edge guards.....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Came across an axe yesterday sitting in the wall of house for the most part looks brand new except for a little surface rust.   It's a Hults Bruks from the 70's or older based on what I have read on their website.  I have been on look out for a deal on an axe since reading this post as the ones I had never really held an edge and seemed to be more work than they needed to be.  Anyone have one of these?  The website says they are the best thing since sliced bread but then again Chrysler advertises the same thing.  I am betting this thing had been in that wall for over 40 years
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

You can't go wrong with a Gransfors Bruk axe.  They are some of the best available.  I have one of their carving axes and it's a joy to use.  I do like the way they carve the handle, to add some grip to it.  Indulge yourself with their Axe Book (free on line).  I find I get a pretty sharp edge on mine just using a mill file, followed up with a stone to remove the burr.  No need for special sharpening pucks or what-not.  Just make sure you're putting a convex edge on it and not a concave edge like would happen with a grinder.  I would never use one of those jigs like you see with a Tormek, which results in a concave edge.  The edge becomes too fragile.  Maybe fine for chisels or plane blades, but not for axes.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-08-2018, 02:53 PM)AHill Wrote: You can't go wrong with a Gransfors Bruk axe.  They are some of the best available.  I have one of their carving axes and it's a joy to use.  I do like the way they carve the handle, to add some grip to it.  Indulge yourself with their Axe Book (free on line).  I find I get a pretty sharp edge on mine just using a mill file, followed up with a stone to remove the burr.  No need for special sharpening pucks or what-not.  Just make sure you're putting a convex edge on it and not a concave edge like would happen with a grinder.  I would never use one of those jigs like you see with a Tormek, which results in a concave edge.  The edge becomes too fragile.  Maybe fine for chisels or plane blades, but not for axes.
"I find I get a pretty sharp edge on mine just using a mill file,"

A file wont touch any of my hatchets or axes, Alan..
...have to use an axe stone or belt grinder....How does the edge hold up with your axe?
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-09-2018, 02:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
"I find I get a pretty sharp edge on mine just using a mill file,"

A file wont touch any of my hatchets or axes, Alan..
...have to use an axe stone or belt grinder....How does the edge hold up with your axe?

I was sort of wondering about that myself; files won't do anything to my axes.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I haven't had a Grandsfor Bruk, but sincerely doubt the swedish steel is better than many of the vintage american brands like Kelly, Collins, Plumb etc etc., . I have had a few of those, and a file would'nt be a good choice to make an edge on them. I still like a puck best, being able to hold it right while going around the cutting edge.
(03-09-2018, 02:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: A file wont touch any of my hatchets or axes, Alan..

I should clarify that I used the file to reshape the axe, which was double beveled, to more of a single bevel, since I use it as a carving axe.  Hence the file.  I did note that I followed up the file with a stone.  I gave the wrong impression that one should use a file every time you sharpen.  I would not recommend using a file for every axe honing.  Just to clean up damaged edges.  I appreciate that you and Admiral wouldn't ever let a file touch your axes, but it is a recommended method (both by Gransfors Bruk and other axe users) to clean up damaged edges or reshape an axe.  I would say just be careful not to remove too much steel.  I don't have a handy belt sander to reshape edges, so I used a mill file.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-10-2018, 09:24 AM)AHill Wrote: I should clarify that I used the file to reshape the axe, which was double beveled, to more of a single bevel, since I use it as a carving axe.  Hence the file.  I did note that I followed up the file with a stone.  I gave the wrong impression that one should use a file every time you sharpen.  I would not recommend using a file for every axe honing.  Just to clean up damaged edges.  I appreciate that you and Admiral wouldn't ever let a file touch your axes, but it is a recommended method (both by Gransfors Bruk and other axe users) to clean up damaged edges or reshape an axe.  I would say just be careful not to remove too much steel.  I don't have a handy belt sander to reshape edges, so I used a mill file.

Ah, gotcha.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis