Hand tools and arthritis ?
Hopefully it's just a seasonal uptick, but my hands did not like using the LN102 block plane lately.   A pity since it's a perfect little block plane for the small projects I often do, but very very narrow and low-set.   And I just looked up some statistics factoids; my hands are the same length as Trump's, but are wider than average despite their short length.
Smile

Would anyone like to share experiences on adapting hand tools to joint-issues like arthritis?   Some might say to use bigger-width block planes, some have reported using No. 1 Bailey pattern planes, etc.    Also curious on any other hand-tools besides planes.   Of late I have cut my best joints with a gent's saw rather than other DT saws, so I could also look at making a bigger handle for that too.

Thanks in advance
Chris
I have carpal tunnel restrictions that remain even after bilateral release surgery and just a touch of our friend, Arthur. What suits me better is LARGE things. Block planes are small and hard to grip. I like bench planes and shoulder planes. I even made a set of mortise chisels with handles that are tennis ball size. I also have a dozen vises mounted all over the shop because a vise can grip much better than I can.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
The large joints of my right thumb and index finger have arthritis in them that sometimes bothers, plus for some reason I have tendonitis in my left forearm that flares occasionally. But usually its my back that will cause me to take a break before these other issues.

As to tote or tool size I've not given it much thought yet. I might need to as the years roll on tho.
I have arthritis in both hands. Gripping the blade of a chisel and holding it vertical while chopping DT waste can be painful for me. Wife got some prescription cream that really helps with the pain. Other then that, I just put up with the pain. My arthritis also goes back through the wrist, and I have stated to wear a small wrist brace that also helps.
I don’t have arthritis but I have significant joint pain due to many years of statins.  What I have found is that those gloves with grippy dots on them make a huge difference, not only for holding planes but also any action requiring grip strength, like shovels, chisels, etc.
I think we all can commiserate about struggles to make our bodies do things comfortably. My worst problem is sleeping.

I like my LN 102, but it is small and narrow and not a long term user. Is the 103 a jacked up bevel down version? But, still narrow. Next up is a Stanley-size block comfortable for lots of whittling-type use. However, my favorite in that vein is a Franken-beast on a Millers Falls 57 frame, low angle, and ball knuckle.

I have long felt the only solution is a custom build from kit bashed parts. [If I could only convert my computer mouse...]
I don't have arthritis in my hands, but I can see it happening some day.  I have trigger finger in one of the fingers in my right hand, which sometimes locks up when I grab something and it's pretty painful getting it unlocked. Best alternative I can think of for you is to look at some of the larger block planes.  The LV block plane is larger than the LN 60-1/2, so that's probably one of the larger "small" block planes out there.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Now 74, I have been a professional woodworker for over 40 years and suffer greatly from arthritis. The things that have helped most are:

Keep hydrated
Stay active
Lay off the coffee.
Wood is good. 
(01-18-2018, 11:52 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Now 74, I have been a professional woodworker for over 40 years and suffer greatly from arthritis. The things that have helped most are:

Keep hydrated
Stay active
Lay off the coffee.

“Lay off the coffee”? How do you face the morning?
Big Grin
(01-19-2018, 12:17 AM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: “Lay off the coffee”? How do you face the morning?
Big Grin

With less arthritis pain.
Wood is good.