Hand tools and arthritis ?
(01-20-2018, 12:52 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I have that trigger finger happening.  I was at family party and one of the people invited from the outside is a guy that does physical therapy for a lot of pro athletes, so as I am showing my brother the new trick with my finger this guy comes over and started working the muscle in my fore arm.  Damned if the finger didn't pop open like a switch blade.  The muscle work hurt like hell but it did seem to free up the finger a bit.  He said it was a muscle issue that was actually further upstream.  I don't know if that is true but when the finger gets to the point it sticks every time I do something I massage the hell out of the top muscle closest the bend of my arm.  I had my wife using a rolling pin on it a couple of times loosens up for a while.  When it gets stuck and I need it to pop working the joint at the base of the finger where it hinges will get it to release too but again that can be painful.
Bob, here's a video that shows the surgical procedure for the trigger finger release..But don't watch it if this sort of thing bothers you...I have had it twice, as I said earlier..The rehab is really easy and it is almost painless..The "sticking" is eliminated immediately by the surgery and it only takes a about three stitches to close the wound...One time I was fully anesthetized and the other time I was wide awake...they used a "block" to deaden it and at the same time, put a plate in my broken wrist. The wrist is mainly what the surgery was for {I had fallen and broke it} but when I mentioned the trigger finger, he said let's do both at the same time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSt5GuiIGf8
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Had successful carpel tunnel release surgery ~5 yrs ago.  BUT, it's the whole length of the nerve you have to consider.  The Doc knew that there were / are problems in the neck and therapy there really helped.  That and the cervical traction device that I still use when things are getting irritated.  Another bonus is that for me, is that it will stretch my lower back as well and relieve tightness there.  Funny enough, when I used the traction the morning before visiting the Doc for an annual physical, the nurse said I was ½" taller than usual!  I guess it really works!  Best of luck, Tom
I wish to thank all of you who replied with helpful experiences, advice, and more!

Chris
Chris
Information 
A couple other things that could be helpful....

Since I have retired... I have learned to follow GY Highway's advice in "Heartbreak Ridge."
"A man's gotta know his limitations."
I know about how long I can work in the shop without a break.  If I work past that, knowing better, I pay for it.
I know cold damp weather shortens the time, and the onset of pain is a warning.

Secondly, moist heat is my friend.  I can sit in the hot tub or a hot shower and let the jets pound the arthritic joints...
Or microwave a dampened towel. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(01-20-2018, 05:58 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: A couple other things that could be helpful....

Since I have retired... I have learned to follow GY Highway's advice in "Heartbreak Ridge."
"A man's gotta know his limitations."
I know about how long I can work in the shop without a break.  If I work past that, knowing better, I pay for it.
I know cold damp weather shortens the time, and the onset of pain is a warning.

Secondly, moist heat is my friend.  I can sit in the hot tub or a hot shower and let the jets pound the arthritic joints...
Or microwave a dampened towel. 
Smirk
Why not get a hunting sock, fill it with rice and sew up the open end..Heat it in the microwave for three minutes or so, wrap damp towel around it..Heat will last quite awhile but when it cools just repeat... works really well...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Right actor, wrong character/movie:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_VrFV5r8cs0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Thinking about upgrading this wooden block plane which feels pretty good in 1-hand or 2-hand grips.   The original blade could use more thickness, and digging through my stash I may have found something to try....

Chris
Chris
Pushing the rental wheelchair around brought for a raging case of arthritis - most especially in my right thumb. One thing that sort-of helps is Lidocaine cream. It's even better on neck & shoulders than my thumb. Get you docs to write an Rx (Lidocaine/Prilocaine cream - 2% each.)
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-20-2018, 07:23 AM)daddo Wrote: When it became difficult for me to play the Guitar, I decided to see what I could do.
I found out things we eat that causes inflammation also causes arthritis to flare up.  A bad digestion track also makes it flare up.
Processed sugars were the worst. Anything with sugar in it was a bad thing- especially artificial sugars we use that is suppose to be better for us. Soft drinks must go as they are the worst- especially diet sodas. Any foods that are boxed or packaged must go as well as breads and flour foods. Hard or deep fried foods- especially overheated fried foods. Real butter is good- eat all you want, just don't heat it up to brown on the stove- I lightly saute' my foods with butter. Plenty of water, stay hydrated, but not tap water with fluorides and other poisons it sometimes has. I notice a flare up when I wander off this regime.
  Fresh Garlic, fresh cherries and Ginger help me the most.

I do exercises to loosen the fingers up like this;

I find these exercises also help with anything like working with tools. I try and keep the hands moving and don't strain them or over work them.

Doesn't directly answer your question, but maybe this will help you.

I recently in November experienced a trigger finger episode with my right index finger.  I was in severe pain and went to see a bone doctor to see what could be done.  He gave me a steroid shot on 7 December along with a prescription for a steroid blister pack to be taken over a period of a week.  I experienced some relief at that time, but went back on 4 January 2018 and got another steroid shot.  The combination of the two shots, plus the steroid pills has given me full use of my index finger again without the excruciating pain.  Thank goodness. 

However, the injection of the steroid shots and the pills caused my liver function parameters to go off the scale when detected through a semi-annual checkup with my regular physician.  He verified that the abnormality was a result of the medications, so all is well. 

Ironically, for my birthday, my wife gave me a very nice 5 string banjo since she had heard that I could play it from my family.  We are relative newly weds both having lost spouses so our history is measured in only a few years.  So, now my trigger finger is fixed, but I am still trying to retrain my fat fingers since I have not touched a guitar or banjo in 25 years or greater. 

Bottom line is I can relate to the problems of having a trigger finger.  Like I told the Doctor, of all the fingers, it had to be my index finger on my right hand since I am a right hander.  Dueling banjos is coming soon!
Regards!
Save the whales! Collect the whole set.