Loft Bed
I will be starting a loft bed for my son later this week.
How much room should I leave between the mattress and the frame?
I was thinking a half inch on each side may leave enough room to put sheets on.
Does anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks
Dan
(01-17-2018, 03:52 PM)03rangerfx4 Wrote: I will be starting a loft bed for my son later this week.

Thanks

A half inch is probably adequate since you'll be able to slide it and lift it if you need to get some extra room. 

I allowed about 3/4" on each side for the crib mattress and it was enough to allow for thick crib bumpers. For an adult with no worry about getting stuck, 1/2" should be more than enough since you won't be putting anything between the sides and the mattress. A crib mattress is a lot thinner, but it was no problem at all to change sheets without the bumpers.
(01-17-2018, 04:04 PM)FS7 Wrote: A half inch is probably adequate since you'll be able to slide it and lift it if you need to get some extra room. 

I allowed about 3/4" on each side for the crib mattress and it was enough to allow for thick crib bumpers. For an adult with no worry about getting stuck, 1/2" should be more than enough since you won't be putting anything between the sides and the mattress. A crib mattress is a lot thinner, but it was no problem at all to change sheets without the bumpers.

Thanks FS7
Dan
(01-17-2018, 03:52 PM)03rangerfx4 Wrote: I will be starting a loft bed for my son later this week.

Thanks

I built one for my daughter with 3 inches extra in each direction. I was worried about variance in mattress sizes, and didn't want to back myself into a corner later. 

What I found was that 3" on the side make a great place for here to stash books and things. She loves it that way. It also makes it easier to change sheets. 

The other thing I did was mount it to the wall in a corner, and hang the open corner from a ceiling joist by a chain. With no post to the floor at the open corner it kept her small room very open.
First pants, then shoes.
(01-18-2018, 03:38 PM)waterboy Wrote: I built one for my daughter with 3 inches extra in each direction. I was worried about variance in mattress sizes, and didn't want to back myself into a corner later. 

What I found was that 3" on the side make a great place for here to stash books and things. She loves it that way. It also makes it easier to change sheets. 

The other thing I did was mount it to the wall in a corner, and hang the open corner from a ceiling joist by a chain. With no post to the floor at the open corner it kept her small room very open.
Have done similar to waterboy and now use the 3" as a design element.  Incorporate outlets for charging devices, etc.  The next one I am doing is incorporating a desk underneath the loft bed.  Hope this helps!
Steve
Good ideas guys.
Dan