How to fix the tote on my old wooden jointer?
I've got a nice old wooden jointer that I'm rehabbing. One thing I don't know how to do is to fix the crack in the tote. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can do it? I'm attaching a photo.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-17-2018, 10:25 PM)overland Wrote: I've got a nice old wooden jointer that I'm rehabbing. One thing I don't know how to do is to fix the crack in the tote. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can do it? I'm attaching a photo.

Try epoxy and clamp the best you can to close up the gap.
(01-17-2018, 10:57 PM)Dennis  Puskar Wrote: Try epoxy and clamp the best you can to close up the gap.

Yep.  Rubber bands, alot of them, are great for clamping weird things like plane totes.  

Also, from my experience.  if it is a clean and recent break, they glue together great.  The problems are when the break is old, and the plane has been used with the break, and the parts have rubbed together creating gaps and different surfaces... those will not glue together without redefining the mating surfaces.
The tough part will be getting the glue deep into the crack. Two kinds of glue insertion come to mind, one is a syringe filled with glue and then jabbed into the crack and the second is to use a very thin yet non-flimsy wood shaving or piece of plastic to push the glue into the crack. Then use a couple of bar clamps or rubber bands to tighten it together.
(01-18-2018, 06:13 AM)Tynyyn Wrote:  the second is to use a very thin yet non-flimsy wood shaving or piece of plastic to push the glue into the crack.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Good advice. I tried once before on a different plane and wasn't able to force sufficient glue into the crack. It didn't hold.
(01-17-2018, 10:25 PM)overland Wrote: I've got a nice old wooden jointer that I'm rehabbing. One thing I don't know how to do is to fix the crack in the tote. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can do it? I'm attaching a photo.

This look's like to make a saw kerf through the crack, to clean up the surfaces for new glue (Titightbond III, Gorilla Glue ??) and a new slice of wood you would not mind seeing  where the repair was made.  

This should provide the best gluing surfaces for the glue to work.  Match the wood or add contracting wood to identify the repair!!

Lots of success in the repair!!
Winkgrin

My preferred method is to glob glue on one side then hold my shop vac against the other side until the glue gets pulled into the entire area of the crack, then clamp.
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
(01-18-2018, 03:44 PM)Dave Crow Wrote: My preferred method is to glob glue on one side then hold my shop vac against the other side until the glue gets pulled into the entire area of the crack, then clamp.

I never would have thought of that.
Big Grin
(01-18-2018, 03:44 PM)Dave Crow Wrote: My preferred method is to glob glue on one side then hold my shop vac against the other side until the glue gets pulled into the entire area of the crack, then clamp.

I watched Roy Underhill use this technique during a class at the Woodwright's School. You can't get a better recommendation than that.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223