Moser Garnetlac - is this dewaxed?
Hello All - I'm making a pedestal stand for our local Unitarian Fellowship - thread HERE in the 'Woodworking Forum' - the stand is being made from red oak plywood + solid red oak for 'trimmings' - I need to come up w/ some finishing options, so plan to submit 3-4 regimens on scarps of the plywood - the committee wants to match their 'new' chairs (see first pic below) which are oak w/ an oak stain (in the back) - I'll likely end up w/ oil or waterborne polyurethane w/ shellac/stain below - have a few gel stains being shipped to me from Rockler.

My initial questions concern the Moser Garnetlac shown in the 2nd pic - the description on Amazon implies 'dewaxed' (my preference) but in reading the container there is absolutely no mention of wax or not?  Does anyone know if I can assume this is indeed 'dewaxed' - now I've not mix shellac in several years but a 'waxed' product should layer, so assume if I do not see this top layer the product is 'dewaxed' - thanks for any comments - will likely mix up some tomorrow and see.  Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Woodworker's Supply is the main distributor of the JE Moser stuff, and their website declares it to be dewaxed.  I've used fair amount of the Moser stuff over the years...I would trust WWS but certainly question the listing om Amazon. If you're still suspicious, mix some up and let it sit a few days...if it has wax it will be visible on the bottom of the jar as it settles.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-19-2018, 06:33 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Woodworker's Supply is the main distributor of the JE Moser stuff, and their website declares it to be dewaxed.  I've used fair amount of the Moser stuff over the years...I would trust WWS but certainly question the listing om Amazon. If you're still suspicious, mix some up and let it sit a few days...if it has wax it will be visible on the bottom of the jar as it settles.

Thanks Fred - I mixed up a pint (2-lb cut) last night and this morning all of the flakes were dissolved and there was no wax layer, so should be safe to go - waiting for some gel stains from Rockler but my shipment was delayed because of snow in North Carolina - we got 6" in the Piedmont a few days ago and the temps are going into the 40s+ for the weekend - the BIG thaw!  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina