Anyone have experience with a "snowblower impeller kit"?
A friend of mine said he cut up old tires and installed them on his snowblower. I had no idea there were kits like this until recently! Seems a lot easier than cobbling something together, never mind that I don't have random tires. In order to remove the carb on my Cub Cadet, I need to remove the chute, because it shares a bolt with the heat shield. I figure it's a good time to access the impeller.  So anyone installed one?

Side note: I'm going to modify the heat shield so I don't need to remove the stupid chute to get the carb off. I already modified the plastic "dash board" so I don't need to remove a screw from the electric start plug to get that off... It's like peeling an onion. 

Thanks guys.
Benny

I saw some YouTube’s of guys doing that. Suppose to work well with slushy stuff. Makes sense to me

(01-19-2018, 05:12 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I saw some YouTube’s of guys doing that. Suppose to work well with slushy stuff.  Makes sense to me

I made a set several years ago out of dense rubber 3M sanding blocks. Like these. I have a small 24" Ariens that never quits but it has never thrown snow very far so I tried it. What I found is they won't break up the ice that forms in the chute so they start bending backwards as the ice gets thicker and the inside diameter of the chute gets smaller and I'd have to stop and clean it out more often than before I put the paddles in. I believe it was because of the friction of the flexed rubber against the ice. I believe that initially, it threw the snow a little further but it didn't take long to loose it's advantage and turn into a disadvantage. I could tell the RPM were dropping. The bare metal impeller knocks out the ice around it so the revs stayed up to throw the snow better. [url=https://repaintsupply.com/sanding-blocks/dense/3m-05517-wet-or-dry-rubber-squeegee-p420.html][/url]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I made and installed some on my very old Deere snowblower. They did improve the throwing distance. I only put them on 2 of the 4 impeller blades. Install them tight to the sides and they wear in as you use the machine.
Mine were made from a very thick ( 1/4 - 3/8 ") rubber floor mat.
I was visiting a tractor forum when I first heard of these kits. The guys who used them swear they really improve life. I never went for it since I didn't see anything wrong with the way my throwers were working without them. Increased throwing distance was a frequent comment, somehow they do throw snow further. It looked to me like the commercial kits didn't rub...they seemed to have some small clearance between the flappers and the impeller housing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks guys. May give it a try!
Benny

This guy recommends using silicon spray.  I would try that once to see if it works.  Cheap enough.  Easy enough.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkY5j9DJWQ

(But don't grab the blades with your hands like he does--maybe his is electric--so maybe that is OK.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Yeah I use silicon spray. Works great on the shovels too. So does PAM.
Smile
Benny

(01-24-2018, 09:41 AM)bennybmn Wrote: Yeah I use silicon spray. Works great on the shovels too. So does PAM.
Smile

I've used Pam before.  Hadn't considered silicone spray before, but sounds like a winner.  Does it hold up longer than the Pam?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(01-24-2018, 09:44 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've used Pam before.  Hadn't considered silicone spray before, but sounds like a winner.  Does it hold up longer than the Pam?
I don't know.  But a can would last a whole season for me even if I sprayed it each time I used it.  Cheap enough.  (I wouldn't fry eggs with it though.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.