Dust collection from below
I've tried the big gulp type attachment and even just the hose by itself and always wonder why. To have it behind the lathe make little sense. I have access to a tin shop. If I had them fab a throat sort of like a heating floor duct that sat between the bench and the underside of the lathe with the opening say flush with the front of the lathe what are your thoughts on effectiveness? The throat would be deep enough so the hose would connect behind the lathe.
I think it should be more effective than in back of the lathe.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have dust coming off at all kinds of angles, forward or reverse rotation, so I never bothered hooking one up, though I'm sure it would make some difference. Probably having it immediately above the piece would be most effective.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(01-19-2018, 08:04 PM)SteveS Wrote: I have dust coming off at all kinds of angles, forward or reverse rotation, so I never bothered hooking one up, though I'm sure it would make some difference. Probably having it immediately above the piece would be most effective.

This is my thought.  there are guys that can peel wood and/or direct chips into a trash can.  I had an instructor that could do that.  I am not one of them.
Check out Robo Hippie's dust shroud.

It may inspire you.

https://youtu.be/4awNEsdawjQ
I use a dust shield behind the lathe. It’s incredible when I sand. Highly recommend it. It is not for chips or shavings. I turn it on only when I sand. It is the best thing I’ve done for turning
(01-19-2018, 07:03 PM)whatline Wrote: I've tried the big gulp type attachment and even just the hose by itself and always wonder why. To have it behind the lathe make little sense. I have access to a tin shop. If I had them fab a throat sort of like a heating floor duct that sat between the bench and the underside of the lathe with the opening say flush with the front of the lathe what are your thoughts on effectiveness? The throat would be deep enough so the hose would connect behind the lathe.

I use a dryer vent and magnets for dust collection.  When sanding interiors, it's mounted on the front of the ways with strong magnets, and since I power sand, it gets ~95% of the dust direct into its center.  Even though it's a short span, most of the spread dust is captured from out beyond the edges.

For interior work, the duct is mounted to the rear of the lathe.  Since the dust is retained centrifugally inside, it's positioned so that as I come out of the piece over the rim, it collects what I push out.  Thus gravity is my friend both inside and out, which should, even if you hand sand, work well.  

If you're making dust while cutting, it's time to re-evaluate your technique.  As you shave with well-prepared tools, you can actually throw the shavings either down into a bag up front, or against (a) the wall to the rear.  If you're on a solid top, it cleans up rapidly with a grab and stuff.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
For a while I was thinking of making one in a "C" shape which the bottom will rest on the ways and the top at mid level, but I have to think how to enclose it on the sides and still stay out of the way of the turning.

I am going to get some sheet metal at Menards and try it out in the next month or so and try it and make mods until I am happy.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin look at the link I posted to Robo Hippie's dust t hood.
It's is pretty much what t you are describing.

I miss Menards
Thanks all
I checked out the videos always good to have other ideas. Good luck Arlin.