Epoxy resin shelf life
Question 
After 20yrs of canoeing in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area I had to remove the fiberglass from my cedarstrip canoe and re-glass it.  That was about 5 yrs ago.  I have a gallon of resin and hardener left and have been seeing posts regarding live edge tables and pouring colored resin in the defects.  Is the resin too old to use anymore?  It has gone through a few freezing and thawing cycles.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

I'm not sure age will hurt it, but I did have some freeze (over a winter, not sure how many cycles it went through) and it wouldn't harden when I tried to use it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-20-2018, 10:35 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I used the epoxy I had left over from the sailboat I launched in 2002 for more than ten years with no problems. Finally used it up. I should call up Raka and order some more.
I have some Raka almost that old.  While the epoxy is still good according to RAKA, the hardener will age, and oxidize.  It has turned a very dark amber.

So much for the clear wood look in the canoe I am going to finish one of these days.  Any pictures of your sailboat?

I missed the part of the epoxy has been frozen. I would contact the manufacturer and do a test batch to see how the epoxy has held up under this general no-no for glues.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(01-21-2018, 07:15 PM)photobug Wrote: Any pictures of your sailboat?

Not many. 

[Image: 3516738826_6a500d088d.jpg]

[Image: 3515926585_c658cdba32.jpg]

Here's the steering wheel I made for it from cherry and maple.
[Image: 3516738758_fb2a46b516.jpg]
(01-21-2018, 07:26 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Not many. 

[Image: 3516738826_6a500d088d.jpg]

I just had to come back and point out what a beautiful boat you created.  I always thought I wanted to build my own sailboat.  But I spend so much time trying to fix the boats, I own, have owned.  That wheel is awesome.
A carpenter's house is never done.