SHELLAC
(01-20-2018, 10:26 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: First stop was Tru-Value hardware.  No sealcoat in stock or carried at all.  They did have the Zinsser Bulls eye shellac finish in quart cans.  Being that they contain wax, I wasn't interested.  Most of the date stamps on the cans were misprinted and not readable. Of the two that I could read one was made in 2016 one in June 2013.  An associate asked if he could help and confirmed that they didn't carry what I was looking for.  He suggested ordering from their website.  When I mentioned the out of date shelf life, he showed no interest.

Next stop after lunch was home depot. Sealcoat was in stock in gallon size $ 37.98. Date of manufacturer was Jan 2017........... Sold

Yep, that's where I buy mine.  2 lbs of shellac in a gallon of alcohol; you can't beat the price. And it's always within 6 months of manufacture.  I've used stuff 2+ years old and it's still good.  The only problem I've had is leaky cans.  I had one can leak that was only a few months old.  

John
(01-20-2018, 02:19 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Rob - thanks for the mention of WellerMart - I've not bought shellac from them and about half the price of the J.E. Moser offerings - in you don't mind me asking, are the flakes shipped in a bag, screw-on container, or other?  Thanks - Dave
Smile

What I would call a "double weight" zip lock.  

Seems like a good package, however, I did have one bag of garnet that clumped up on me.  But a quick whack with a hammer to make small pieces to go into a coffee grinder and away we go.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(01-20-2018, 04:39 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: The only place I can find Sealcoat in the Kansas City area is Woodcraft in Lenexa, KS.

I have been able to find S.C. at the Home Depot and Menards in Lawrence.  As well as the Coast-to-Coast hardware in town.  But since I've been buying flakes lately, I can't say if it is still the case or what the date codes look like.

On a related note, I've had no problems with the blue can of denatured alcohol or Sunnyside brand.  Once I grind up the flakes into dust, they dissolve ASAP.

YMMV

p.s. In the past year, I've started spraying using a turbine based HVLP system.  Given that I've experimented with adding a teaspoon of turpentine (again, the blue can from the hardware store) as a retarder.  Teaspoon per quart give or take.  So far, it has worked great.  I do this starting in July.  Wipe or brush, I don't bother.
We used to have a member (JR1, I think) that insisted there was susbtantial differences in the DNA with various labels (Behkol not included in this group). His view was that the Kleenstrip label had more water in it, and insisted the Sunnyside label was a better choice. I have no opinion on this, since I've only used the Sunnyside brand, and it has always worked just fine. Because of that I've had no reason to by the Behkol.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-21-2018, 07:50 AM)fredhargis Wrote: We used to have a member (JR1, I think) that insisted there was susbtantial differences in the DNA with various labels (Behkol not included in this group). His view was that the Kleenstrip label had more water in it, and insisted the Sunnyside label was a better choice. I have no opinion on this, since I've only used the Sunnyside brand, and it has always worked just fine. Because of that I've had no reason to by the Behkol.

Thanks Fred for the comments above - I've not used the Sunnyside brand, just the two shown previously in my post - but out of curiosity I looked up the 'contents' data sheets on each one - appears that Kleanstrip & Sunnyside has only half ethanol w/ methyl alcohol the other major component; while Behkol has 80+% ethanol - on Amazon, the first two are priced at about $7 to $9 - the Behkol is listed at $31!  Although I like the contents of the Behkol, the pricing is likely a BIG negative for most.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I always took what JR1 said with a grain of salt.  He seemed to have an opinion about everything, but as W. Edwards Deming used to say, "In God we trust; all others bring data."    That, and his canned response was always one of more of 4 or 5 products, regardless of the question.   Some people here started challenging his responses and asked him to show results.   He wandered off shortly thereafter.
I do remember looking at the contents of the hardware store DNA and seeing that it had changed from maybe 5-10% methanol to 50% methanol. That's when I started getting a bit more serious about wearing gloves and later, using VOC cartridges when I started spraying shellac. Atomized alcohol of any type isn't terribly good to ingest but the methanol made me a bit more nervous.

There was a thread here or on SMC a while back about the high methanol content DNA attacking gloves. I usually just get the cheap box of nitrile (light blue) gloves from Harbor Freight. So I decided to test them by filling a glove with DNA (50% methanol stuff), tying it of and putting it in a jar with a loose fitting lid. The idea was that if the DNA could get out of the glove and show up in the jar as a puddle or condensate on the inside, the glove failed. After a couple of days I remember there being no leak. Been a few years, haven't retested.
(01-24-2018, 10:31 AM)Rob Young Wrote: I do remember looking at the contents of the hardware store DNA and seeing that it had changed from maybe 5-10% methanol to 50% methanol.  That's when I started getting a bit more serious about wearing gloves and later, using VOC cartridges when I started spraying shellac.  Atomized alcohol of any type isn't terribly good to ingest but the methanol made me a bit more nervous.

There was a thread here or on SMC a while back about the high methanol content DNA attacking gloves.  I usually just get the cheap box of nitrile (light blue) gloves from Harbor Freight.  So I decided to test them by filling a glove with DNA (50% methanol stuff), tying it of and putting it in a jar with a loose fitting lid.  The idea was that if the DNA could get out of the glove and show up in the jar as a puddle or condensate on the inside, the glove failed.  After a couple of days I remember there being no leak.  Been a few years, haven't retested.

I use Kleanstrip DNA, and it goes right through the thin nitrile gloves, like in a few seconds.  I've tried ones from HD and HF with equally poor results.  Latex gloves are worthless, too.  Even the heavier gage nitrile ones from HF don't last more than a few minutes.  On the bright side, I've had no trouble using Kleanstrip DNA to thin Sealcoat shellac.  

JR1 used to recommend Everclear for those who wanted pure ethanol.  

John
I was reading on the Shellac.Net website about denatured alcohol.  They were searching for 'high proof' and said out of ten different hardware and paint stores only Sherwin-Williams had 190 proof.  However, they also said that Klean-Strip Green was 190 proof.  I read the spec sheet and it says 80-90% ethanol and less than 5% methanol.  It is available at Home Depot for $6.87 a quart.  Has anyone used it?  Wonder what makes it green?

Lonnie

PS  Orderd a half dozen shellac samples (2 oz size) from Wellermart to try out on some test boards.  Cost was only $31.31 shipped.  You can order from 2 oz bag on up.  Prices were very reasonable, I thought, especially if you just want a small amount to try out.  Most places don't sell small quantities.
(01-24-2018, 05:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I use Kleanstrip DNA, and it goes right through the thin nitrile gloves, like in a few seconds.  I've tried ones from HD and HF with equally poor results.  Latex gloves are worthless, too.  Even the heavier gage nitrile ones from HF don't last more than a few minutes.  On the bright side, I've had no trouble using Kleanstrip DNA to thin Sealcoat shellac.  

JR1 used to recommend Everclear for those who wanted pure ethanol.  

John

Everclear is the way to get small quantities of ethanol.

https://www.ansellpro.com/download/Ansel...eGuide.pdf

I wonder if it is the MEK that is in the Kleanstrip DNA and not the methanol. At any rate, the gloves I tested didn't have an issue. But I haven't tested them lately and I doubt HF is consistent in their suppliers.