A breif month
Now that I have worked my way back into my shop, ( for how long I am not sure ) I finally started working on those little things I had started before things went south last winter/ spring.
First order of business was to finish ( or at least get them almost finished ) some of the resin infused mallet blanks I had started then stuffed into boxes. Subsequently shoved into the basement taking up space. I gave up on the square tenon as it was too time consuming and those mortising chisels just would not hold up. So rounded tenons they became. Most of the  joinery mallets are actually hickory handled. The carving mallets are just 19 oz. vs. 16 oz. The little guys are on their way to the CNC shop.
[Image: 24935606917_322043f843_m.jpg]
[Image: 24935607417_1bcbc2fb5f_m.jpg]
[Image: 24935608677_9dde21e1b0_m.jpg]

Next, I needed to finish a few of the Gent saws I started. I had a batch of various woods, mostly bubinga, hickory and zebra wood CNCd early last spring/ late winter with a spattering of other woods. I had two ebony blanks so I threw them into the mix. This one is mine. :
Smile 20 ppi rip of course.

[Image: 39096083324_66acd538ea_m.jpg]
[Image: 24935608647_5c8f202b45_m.jpg]
 Hoping to get back to my normal life, ( and my shop ), but time and family issues have a way popping up. For now; back at it. There is a little army of saw handles, I just finished slotting and mortising, staring me down now. So off to the races. Or rather back to the squirrel cage in search of the magical acorn.
BontzSawWorks.net
Great looking gents saws. I’m finding myself preferring the gent style handle over the traditional western style even though the only gent style saw I own in an old brass back Disston. It starts and tracks beautifully with a very fine set. Super clean cuts. I think it will possibly need a needle file when it need sharpening.

(01-20-2018, 09:26 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Great looking gents saws.  I’m finding myself preferring the gent style handle over the traditional western style even though the only gent style saw I own in an old brass back Disston.  It starts and tracks beautifully with a very fine set.  Super clean cuts.  I think it will possibly need a needle file when it need sharpening.

Some days I like the Gent style and others I like the pistol grip. When you are not very good with either, it doesn't make much difference. 
Big Grin
BontzSawWorks.net
Nice.
Cool
I have lately seen my best DT's via a gent's saw.   Are you caught up on workload, or have any for sale?
Chris
(01-22-2018, 09:28 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: I have lately seen my best DT's via a gent's saw.   Are you caught up on workload, or have any for sale?

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh  I am never caught up. Just finished a couple last night for a couple of local folks. Several handles made as well. Drop me an email.
BontzSawWorks.net
I wasn't aware things had gotten off track for you, Ron, but I am glad to hear you're back in the shop making awesome tools. Good luck!
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
(01-22-2018, 03:48 PM)MattP Wrote: I wasn't aware things had gotten off track for you, Ron, but I am glad to hear you're back in the shop making awesome tools. Good luck!

+1.

I had my own "issues" last winter and early spring, but I'm still here and glad you are too!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-22-2018, 07:17 PM)Admiral Wrote: +1.

I had my own "issues" last winter and early spring, but I'm still here and glad you are too!

Not so much me as much as a sibling. I am back to normal, for the most part, but my sis. fell on hard times after the spouse unexpectedly diagnosed with CA and passed. I have spent most of the year helping her. Long term situation not over yet, but time will tell. In the mean time, back at working on saw handles etc. working on my last set of mallets, I think.  Then no more of those, for now. I think the elves must have walked off the job. So I am slowing down on things until I retire in two years. A couple of things still in the works, but can't really say much else. Thanks for your thoughts.
BontzSawWorks.net
(01-25-2018, 03:47 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: Not so much me as much as a sibling. I am back to normal, for the most part, but my sis. fell on hard times after the spouse unexpectedly diagnosed with CA and passed. I have spent most of the year helping her. Long term situation not over yet, but time will tell. In the mean time, back at working on saw handles etc. working on my last set of mallets, I think.  Then no more of those, for now. I think the elves must have walked off the job. So I am slowing down on things until I retire in two years. A couple of things still in the works, but can't really say much else. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi you guys, been awhile....

Tried to get back here right after the new software update but nothing would work.  Finally got in touch with Dom recently and he made it happen.

You guys mentioning your hard times..... me too.  Around the first of Dec. last year I experienced a mild stroke. Earned myself a long ride in an ambulance and and few days in the hospital. Do'n pretty good now... at least I can type again.

Glad to see some of your fine work again Ron.

Rich, you still filing saws to perfection and teaching others how to do it too?
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)