Walnut and Maple Turning Blanks
I had another cord of firewood delivered today.
Much to my delight I pulled these Walnut and Maple pieces out of the pile.
The Walnut has some really nice purple streaks in it.
The intention is to make some hollowed globe ornaments out of these.

Attached Files Image(s)

Walnut is one of of my favorite woods to turn. Wear a mask, its the only wood I turn that if I don't wear a mask I notice it. I have one more chunk of apprx 4x4x10" walnut left. I had a barrel full of it and some other wood that I was storing at my dad's when we sold our house while ours was being built and somebody thought it was firewood
Sad
I have 85 acres of walnut here in Iowa but no hard maple or cherry and I would gladly trade some walnut for either of those.

Good luck on the ornaments and I am really looking forward to seeing them.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-22-2018, 02:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have 85 acres of walnut here in Iowa but no hard maple or cherry and I would gladly trade some walnut for either of those.

Good luck on the ornaments and I am really looking forward to seeing them.
Yes
Yes

SSSAaaaaayyyyyy...  do you accept visitors, with chainsaws ?    
        [Image: happy-smiley-face-emoticon.gif]
(01-23-2018, 12:55 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: SSSAaaaaayyyyyy...  do you accept visitors, with chainsaws ?    
        [Image: happy-smiley-face-emoticon.gif]

If you bring a nice cherry or hard maple log I will trade.
Yes   You can also go home with a nice Red Ceder tree also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
My mentor/rabbi in the department, cut down a dozen black walnut trees around his pond several years ago and I went over and chose the pieces I wanted.  (Trunks and large limbs.)  The rest he put into piles and burned.  I had planned to cut them into manageable lengths and run them thru the bandsaw a long time ago, but ... things happen.  (Falls, broken bones... yah know... things.) 
Laugh  The logs have been drying, out of the weather ever since.  I hope to sell off a couple boxes this spring at craft shows and buy the KREG milling sled for the bandsaw... and do a few here and a few there until I get it all cut up.  

I sold my chainsaw because the surgeon said I can't use one anymore... (Shouldn't use one?)
I have a bow saw. LOL.

Laugh
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(01-23-2018, 04:43 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you bring a nice cherry or hard maple log I will trade.
Yes   You can also go home with a nice Red Ceder tree also.

I appreciate the offer... and I would accept... but, it's not practical to drive a thousand miles for it.
Sad