Lathe Speed
My lathe is a Delta made either late 70s or early 80s, I think.   I don't know if that qualifies as 'old arn'.  Anyway, the variable speed was always hard to adjust, the time it sat when we moved and I didn't have time to do much with it for 18 months finally seized it up to where it wouldn't move.  I've been turning at ~500 RPM for way too long.  I figured this weekend since I had the headstock apart to fix the indexing pin I might as well tear it all down.  I took the variable speed apart, got all the rust off and lubed everything up.  Testing speeds today, that bowl seemed to be spinning FAST.  
Crazy  On the plus side, I got much cleaner cuts, partly because of speed and I'm quite sure because I was taking much lighter cuts than I previously did.  With the pens, it's going to take some time to adjust to the higher speeds since material is gonna be taken off that much faster.
If you don't know that the 70's- early 80's is old or not means you must be older.  I still think of the 80's as not too long ago.
Laugh
Laugh

Sad
(01-21-2018, 07:35 PM)daddo Wrote: If you don't know that the 70's- early 80's is old or not means you must be older.  I still think of the 80's as not too long ago.
Laugh
Laugh

Sad

I was born in 73.  I'm not old.  I know my kids think I am.  I thought my dad was when he was the age I am now.  
Wink  I have a drill press and bandsaw.  Both of those were manufactured sometime in the 1940s.  Those definitely qualify.  Actually if the lathe was made in the late 70s or early 80s, it can't be old.  If it is, that means I am.  
Laugh
(01-21-2018, 06:17 PM)crokett™ Wrote: My lathe is a Delta made either late 70s or early 80s, I think.   I don't know if that qualifies as 'old arn'.  Anyway, the variable speed was always hard to adjust, the time it sat when we moved and I didn't have time to do much with it for 18 months finally seized it up to where it wouldn't move.  I've been turning at ~500 RPM for way too long.  I figured this weekend since I had the headstock apart to fix the indexing pin I might as well tear it all down.  I took the variable speed apart, got all the rust off and lubed everything up.  Testing speeds today, that bowl seemed to be spinning FAST.  
Crazy  On the plus side, I got much cleaner cuts, partly because of speed and I'm quite sure because I was taking much lighter cuts than I previously did.  With the pens, it's going to take some time to adjust to the higher speeds since material is gonna be taken off that much faster.

Yep, it's the feed speed, not the RPM that counts.  Sharp tools, presented to peel, can reduce a piece really rapidly at 500.  

If in doubt of what I say, ask yourself if pushing a plane or slicing faster with a knife makes a better surface than a sedate slice. 

Lower RPMs are safer, so there's a bonus!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.