Quandry
So Bandit is tossing build threads on here all of the time and I feel so inadequate because of his desire and skills with working on the wood.  I hate you Bandit.
Big Grin
Big Grin

I have one build project which has been sitting on my workbench for a very long time.  I just cannot get off "Go" and have procrastinated so long I've about lost interest in this project.  All it is is a saw till.  Two sides, two French cleats notched into recesses in the sides for the back and maybe a couple of drawers on the bottom.  It ain't rocket science, but I am wanting to do this project unplugged.  Now comes the reason for my procrastination..... the sides.  I have two hand planed 7" x 18" x 1-1/8" pieces of red oak which I've been dealing with.  What I want to do is saw one piece into two halves, but do it with a rip saw.  It would be so easy to cut it on my table saw or resaw it with the band saw, yet I have told myself over and over to go unplugged.

I have two rip saws, one is a 3-1/2 tpi and the other is a 5 tpi.  Which one should/could I use?  Would 1/2" sides be thick enough for a till which will hold about 15 hand saws?  I've spent a lot of time getting these two red oak boards planed square and flat that I would hate to cut one in half just to have the sided not be strong enough for the weight.

Thoughts from you guys?
Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours.
I'm a looong way from being a good woodworker, but I think the 1/2" boards should be fine unless you really load up the drawers. As to which saw t use, I think either one will be fine. The 3 1/2 will cut faster but you'll need to be a bit more careful.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
5pt, and yes, no problem.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-21-2018, 09:46 PM)Admiral Wrote: 5pt, and yes, no problem.

Yep, either a resaw or a rip operation with a 5pt saw is pretty easy.

And at 1/2" you can use a finer saw if you are ripping.

8pt-ish saws are very common and nice to have around.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Hmmmm
Rolleyes  

Get busy.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-21-2018, 09:46 PM)Admiral Wrote: 5pt, and yes, no problem.

I agree. I just ripped two pieces of 4/4 red oak with a 9 point because it is the coarsest cutting saw I have. Not feeling a lot of sympathy for you not wanting to rip 1/2" with a 5 point I'd have killed for last weekend.
Big Grin  Get to work!
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.