Workshop sound control
I'm getting ready to build my first basement workshop. I've built a couple of standalone buildings as workshops in the past, but this is the first time I've had to worry about controlling the noise to the rest of the house. I'd appreciate any feedback on techniques and materials that anyone has used for their walls and ceilings. thanks
Rockwool helps deaden sound. there are techniques for framing walls to stagger 2x4s on opposite edges of 2x6 sill and top plates. when you hang the sheetrock on each side of the wall, theres a 1.5" gap between the rock and the framing for the other side of the wall. that helps.
The way they  used to sound proof walls in hotels was to mount a 2 x 6 bottom plate and top plate, and then stagger the 2 x 4 uprights so that they alternate against one side or the other.  

Then wool felt (carpet padding will work) is woven between the uprights and stapled in place.  Finally two layers of sheet rock are applied on both sides.

Isolating the wall panels prevents sound directly transmitting from one wall to the next.  The felt absorbs the sound, but newer options  (rock wool) are available and probably work better.  

The dual layers of sheet rock prevent the walls from acting like drum heads and getting sympathetic vibrations.

If these are exterior walls and you want super temperature insulation as well as sound insulation, then two standard 2 x 4 walls separated by about 2" will isolate both the sound and prevent heat loss from the same stud being on an interior and exterior wall.

[Image: 2014_HighR_wall_02_web.jpg]

Sound insulated:

Or use "whisper clips"

https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/Commerci...Clips.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-21-2018, 09:31 PM)JAK Wrote: I'm getting ready to build my first basement workshop. I've built a couple of standalone buildings as workshops in the past, but this is the first time I've had to worry about controlling the noise to the rest of the house. I'd appreciate any feedback on techniques and materials that anyone has used for their walls and ceilings. thanks

Insulate between the joists, rockwool like Crockett said is best for sound proofing. Wear as much protection as  possible because this is nasty stuff. Hat, gloves, goggles and long sleeves. This is also known as rotten cotton. Comes in 4'-0" long batts . Hold in place with spring wire made for this application. Comes in lengths for 16" or 24"  centers and can be cut with bolt cutters or a Dremel tool for odd widths between joists. The wire will ruin ordinary side cutters as it is hardened.
Next at least one layer of sheetrock. If you are familiar with resilent channel  then install it first and screw the sheet rock to it. This is also known as Z bar. If you are not familiar with it ,DON't  try it as the learning curve will leave you with a potty mouth. Instead just install furring and screw sheet rock to it.
Walls are done the same way except no  wood furring necessary . Z bar if you can install it will be good. if the wall is separating rooms then stagger the studs. 16" or 24" centers using 2x3 studs and plates. Now install a second 2 x 3 wall against the first one and layout your studs so they are NOT opposite the first wall studs. The double wall makes a big difference. I usually install one wall, rock the back of the wall.the part you will not see and then install the second wall. Insulate with rock wool again, both walls and then sheetrock. 
Get tubes of Accoustical caulk  and run a heavy bead along the top and bottom plates on each side. Make sure you get acoustical caulk only. Do this before installing sheet rock so the rock will cover the caulk . Solid doors, threshold and drop seals will also help dim the sounds. 

mike
I have a basement shop. I don't get noise complaints but lots of P & M ing about odor especially when turning acrylics and tracking sawdust upstairs. The biggest noise issue is the dust collector and shop vacs. I am considering boxing in the shop vacs with blue board
(01-21-2018, 09:31 PM)JAK Wrote: I'm getting ready to build my first basement workshop. I've built a couple of standalone buildings as workshops in the past, but this is the first time I've had to worry about controlling the noise to the rest of the house. I'd appreciate any feedback on techniques and materials that anyone has used for their walls and ceilings. thanks
I've used some bat insulation from Menards that is made from ground up, recycled denim that works really, really well to kill sound.  It also comes with some 1.5 in wide strips that are a little more than 1/4 inch thick that are placed between the stud and sheetrock to isolate the 2 from eachother. 
Also, I used hard rubber pads to isolate things like the wall mounted dust collector from the building framing - that really cuts down on noise conducted through the framing.
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
When I was a portrait photographer I used a "wind machine" to wind blow models' hair.  A standard wind machine back then was over $1,000.00 (About $3,200.00 in current money).  So I built a box from MDF and enclosed an electric leaf blower.  It became substantially quieter, but since I needed an in port it still made a bit of noise.  Eventually I installed the leaf blower in the dressing room with remote switch and a long hose.  That was really quiet.

A box will make the shop vac quieter.

MDF is better for the box than plywood as it is very dense and will not vibrate as much.  Some sort of baffle for the intake port will probably help with the noise. 

My dust collector makes much less noise than my shop vac and I don't worry about that at all.
Great suggestions from everyone - I'll probably try a combination of these - thanks!
My parents' home was insulated with rockwool in 1956.  The stuff settled to the firestops.  So the outside walls were cold in some places and insulated in others.  

They may have resolved that issue over the years.  I would check that out.

I did see a Holiday Inn being built near Stewart Airport (Newburgh, NY) in 1970 (I was staying at the completed section).

They were using he staggered studs and weaving standard felt carpet padding around the studs.  They were using two layers of sheetrock.

The key points:

Isolate the two sides of the walls.  
Absorb sound with felt.
Make sure that the sheet rock does not act as a drum head and vibrate