Sika post fix has anyone tried it?
Just saw an advertisement for sika post fix (quick google search will find several videos)

It's essentially a 2 part foam product sold at big box stores to set posts instead of quikcrete.

It says one bag replaces 2 50lb bags

Looks like it's about 50% more expensive than quikcrete.

I know that foam is a great product for insulation, and I know a guy who's business is leveling concrete pumping foam under it.

I'm curious what the longevity and stability of the post would be.

It would be more expensive than quikcrete, but would be lighter to carry around. Other than that, I don't see much benefit.

I also wonder if the ground was water saturated if the post might float.

Duke

One more post script, if making foam expand is as easy as mixing it in a bag, why isn't there a homeowner kit for spray foam?
Seen the bags in the stores and the price and never used it. The only real use I would have for it would be for a mail box. But with our sand you either need to concrete it in or concrete in 6" pvc then place your post in it then backfill with sand etc. That way when the wood post rots and is eaten by termites you can just pull the post c vacuum the hole and replace.
(01-21-2018, 09:43 PM)J Duke Wrote: One more post script, if making foam expand is as easy as mixing it in a bag, why isn't there a homeowner kit for spray foam?

There are.  

John
(01-22-2018, 03:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: There are.  

John

Available at HD or Lowes.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
We use quite a few Sitka sealants they are top notch. Have no experiance with this though
(01-21-2018, 09:43 PM)JDuke Wrote: ......

I'm curious what the longevity and stability of the post would be.

It would be more expensive than quikcrete, but would be lighter to carry around.   Other than that, I don't see much benefit.

I also wonder if the ground was water saturated if the post might float.

Duke

One more post script, if making foam expand is as easy as mixing it in a bag, why isn't there a homeowner kit for spray foam?

*I've wondered if you could use Great Stuff instead...and how that would compare in price?
*Ever remove posts that were put in with concrete?  That would be another benefit of the foam.
*I doubt a post would "float" - there would be a lot of other weight on it (like a fence?).
*Mixing the ingredients in a bag is probably easier than spraying (and cleaning up the mess).  I have seen the spray canisters at Lowes or Menards...look like mini 20# canisters.
(01-21-2018, 09:43 PM)JDuke Wrote: One more post script, if making foam expand is as easy as mixing it in a bag, why isn't there a homeowner kit for spray foam?

The main reason it is not common is the safety gear has to be worn.  Inhale that crap or get it in your eyes or someone else's and things get bad fast.  

https://tigerfoam.com/sprayfoaminsulatio...foam-kits/
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

you can spray foam until you develop asthma and possibly die. People who spray pickup lining have those same issues.  It doesn't affect a lot of people, until it does. It's the stuff that killed people in Bhopal India.  The post setting foam probably doesn't have as high of an exposure to isocyanates.  Inside your house, where you would spray foam, the exposure is much more.

I wonder if we find out later someone decided to use the setting foam in an enclosed space and hurt themeselves.
Spraying foam is best left to the professionals.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(01-23-2018, 04:49 AM)EricU Wrote: you can spray foam until you develop asthma and possibly die. People who spray pickup lining have those same issues.  It doesn't affect a lot of people, until it does. It's the stuff that killed people in Bhopal India.  The post setting foam probably doesn't have as high of an exposure to isocyanates.  Inside your house, where you would spray foam, the exposure is much more.

I wonder if we find out later someone decided to use the setting foam in an enclosed space and hurt themeselves.

That's why you use a respirator when spraying foam or paints with isocyanates. Preferably a fresh air one. PRO 15 has been a popular rust treating paint in the automotive restoration field and has lots of that crap in it and even says many times do not spray it. Yet people do and wonder why they are coughing up blood after long exposure. Basically you are inhaling superglue... 

As for small diy spray foam just use a good quality respirator but not a dust mask as they don't do much as they don't fit well etc. If you need large areas done just hire it out. Their price on materials is so much lower that it's the same price ber board foot to have it done as it is to do it yourself.