Sika post fix has anyone tried it?
(01-21-2018, 09:43 PM)JDuke Wrote: Just saw an advertisement for sika post fix (quick google search will find several videos)

It's essentially a 2 part foam product sold at big box stores to set posts instead of quikcrete.

It says one bag replaces 2 50lb bags

Looks like it's about 50% more expensive than quikcrete.

I know that foam is a great product for insulation, and I know a guy who's business is leveling concrete pumping foam under it.

I'm curious what the longevity and stability of the post would be.

It would be more expensive than quikcrete, but would be lighter to carry around.   Other than that, I don't see much benefit.

I also wonder if the ground was water saturated if the post might float.

Duke

One more post script, if making foam expand is as easy as mixing it in a bag, why isn't there a homeowner kit for spray foam?

I put in a fence a couple years ago and splurged on Sika Post Fix for all the holes (~30 of them). Definitely cost more than concrete but holy cow did it go blazingly fast to get all the posts set in one afternoon with no back-breaking concrete handling.  You crush the bag like a hand warmer, rapidly mix for something like 30 seconds, open it and pour. Hold the post in position for about 3 minutes and move on. An hour or so later you're hanging panels on it.  

As far as I can tell so far this stuff is as awesome as advertised. It forms a very hard, water-tight seal around the post yet it has some compressive "give" whereas concrete doesn't.  I put one in the wrong spot and the next day it was very hard for me to remove it.   Over a winter there was an extreme wind storm, neighbors had fence posts snap off at the base. Mine held strong, likely in part because the hardened foam does have some "give" to it when such shearing forces were applied.  It's only been a couple years but I see no sign of degradation. As well, in the lower back part of my yard it can get very wet - standing water in some spots and so far I've not seen any of the holes move or float.  At that time (a couple years ago) I had found some guy on the internet who had a blog post about using it, and I reached out to him and he wrote back, saying it had been 6 or so years for him at that point and his experience was the same.
(01-23-2018, 04:49 AM)EricU Wrote: you can spray foam until you develop asthma and possibly die. People who spray pickup lining have those same issues.  It doesn't affect a lot of people, until it does. It's the stuff that killed people in Bhopal India.  The post setting foam probably doesn't have as high of an exposure to isocyanates.  Inside your house, where you would spray foam, the exposure is much more.

I wonder if we find out later someone decided to use the setting foam in an enclosed space and hurt themeselves.

Isocyanates in body filler is how I got the neuropathy issues. I'm crossing my fingers (when they don't hurt too much) that that is all I got from it. I don't think it was from prolonged exposure. I wiped my nose with my sleeve after sanding body-filler and inhaled it. For about a month, the world smelled like a tire fire. My ears rang and clogged, temper got short and next thing you know, I couldn't tell the difference between hot and cold. Burned myself more than once.

Toss a bag of dry concrete in the hole and let nature do the rest.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Good to hear that at least someone has used it with good results.

I think I'll stick with concrete, I call it the gym of the back fence, it's the most exercise I get.
Isocyanates

Once in a while we use PL adhesive, the good stuff with polyurethane. Gets me everytime...asthma, my face gets puffy and itchy and a week to go away!

[Image: loctite-general-purpose-construction-adh...4_1000.jpg]

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
We had a couple cans of spray foam that had gotten way out of date and wouldn't release. We took them to private property when we sighted in our deer rifles. Used them as a target. Were glad we weren't close when we hit them! Poof, not much left!
Let's see.
The quickrete works fine.
It's less expensive.
I would only use the Sika, if I had to hand carry many bags, a long distance.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer