Source For Sanding Pads
(01-23-2018, 09:10 AM)crokett™ Wrote: wow.  those are indeed cheap prices.  I'm ordering the sample pack and will see how that works.

Ken is a very nice guy.
Give him a call.  He will talk 
your ears off.

Quality has not been a problem.
(01-21-2018, 11:10 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm looking for 3" round hook and loop pads.  I found some on Amazon that aren't the Wave pads, but were a good deal cheaper.  I discovered why they are so cheap.  They don't hold up very long, not more than a few minutes when power sanding a bowl. I'm wondering what you all use and where you get them?  I'm thinking of trying to find hook and loop paper and making my own pads.  I can probably create a punch cutter in my dad's forge fairly easily.

http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/blue-flex-discs/
These are durable and last fairly well. I have had great service and performance from all of his products Discs and sanding pads I just added a 3" pad and interface pad and all grits 100 thru 600 on larger bowls these are lasting much longer. Repeat customer and highly satisfied.
Tim
(01-22-2018, 01:52 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I now will make my own after seeing this a few months ago and will use knee pads which Menards sells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G44HICpHgqg

I hope this helps everyone else here as well.

Thank You Arlin, for this useful link. I'm in the process of making my own sanding pads now. It makes a lot of sense to swap out the disk and pad together, and going to the next grit with a whole new arbor/bit/pad.

I believe this will be great and personally, the only thing I needed to purchase was a 5 dollar tube of "Shoe Goo"... I had the rest of the stuff already.

At the end of each day's work in the shop, I simply glue on a pad to the wooden cone, that I turned, and leave it sit in the lathe to cure.

Before I know it, I'll have plenty of sanding pads. Now, I just need to make a new holder box for this new approach.

BY THE WAY EVERYONE... Personally, I have my air gun resting on the lathe bed when I sand, and when the sandpaper loads up (like in about 5 to 15 seconds), I simply blow off the loaded wood, in the sandpaper. Don't you'all do that too? I've been blowing off the sanding pad Velcro on the pad also, when changing grits.

I've looked at my current pad with a printers magnifier (very good magnification) and I can see how the barbs are arranged... and... I can see my pad is worn down currently and this is why my pad is no longer usable.
I ordered the 3" sample set from WoodturnersWonder. Prompt shipping and based on tests yesterday they last. I ordered several grits in the 2" size today.
(01-28-2018, 02:22 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: . I'm in the process of making my own sanding pads now. It makes a lot of sense to swap out the disk and pad together, and going to the next grit with a whole new arbor/bit/pad.
Here's the link to the PDF from the video

it includes a list of materials needed and where to get them.  I'm going to make a set.  I may have an old set of kneepads around here somewhere that I can cut up.