Crushed Stone Inlay
These days, I like making bowls. Also... personally, I like seeing the pith in the bowl.. or on the rim... cracks and all don't bother me... I like it... the way I see, it gives the bowl character.

However, I had a nice hunk of pear wood, that was cracking badly near the rim... so, I optioned to inlay crushed stone, in the part that had "key" cracking. I didn't take a photo beforehand, I wish I had now, because perhaps someone else can learn something from this posting.

At any rate, over at "Michaels", you can buy 28 ounces of crushed stone for 4 bucks. Or, of course, you can spend 11 or 12 bucks and buy 1.1 ounces of "Turners Select Crushed Stone Magnesite" at Craft Supplies. However, I did need to use the carbide cutter to turn down the stone from Michaels.

Here is the result. The first photo is closer to the actual color. 9½ rim x 4 3/4 Height.

[Image: O8Ew34.jpg]

[Image: ZkShy3.jpg]
(01-22-2018, 01:08 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: These days, I like making bowls. Also... personally, I like seeing the pith in the bowl.. or on the rim... cracks and all don't bother me... I like it... the way I see, it gives the bowl character.

However, I had a nice hunk of pear wood, that was cracking badly near the rim... so, I optioned to inlay crushed stone, in the part that had "key" cracking. I didn't take a photo beforehand, I wish I had now, because perhaps someone else can learn something from this posting.

At any rate, over at "Michaels", you can buy 28 ounces of crushed stone for 4 bucks. Or, of course, you can spend 11 or 12 bucks and buy 1.1 ounces of "Turners Select Crushed Stone Magnesite" at Craft Supplies. However, I did need to use the carbide cutter to turn down the stone from Michaels.

Here is the result. The first photo is closer to the actual color. 9½ rim x 4 3/4 Height.

[Image: O8Ew34.jpg]

[Image: ZkShy3.jpg]

Well done buddy you did a fine job.

One suggestion is maybe try stone that is in contrast to what you are turning.  Like with Pear maybe something dark or red would look great with it. 

I have never turned pear before so it looks like you did a fine job of turning it also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just a word of caution. The expensive stuff (inlace) sold by craft supplies or packard can be turned with HSS tools. All the stuff I've seen at Michaels is REAL crushed stone and will kill HSS.
(01-23-2018, 12:29 AM)Angus Wrote: Just a word of caution. The expensive stuff (inlace) sold by craft supplies or packard can be turned with HSS tools. All the stuff I've seen at Michaels is REAL crushed stone and will kill HSS.

That's true... I mentioned it.
It's been a long time but I have bought inlace material from these folks. www.turtlefeathers.net. Good products and good service.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member