new shop
Hi every one,
I am new to the forum. And looking your advice on building a new wood shop in my garage.  I am a DIY guy have done most of remolding to my home. I have built some sheds but now am looking to start more cabinet and furniture. I need to up my game.  I need better tools. I have been doing research on different tool brands. I am a patriot and would buy American if at all possible. Do I get all Jet what about Rikon? Mix and match machine to get the best for my shop.  

Thank You every one
New guy
Tltponto
Welcome to the forum
From being here a while I can tell you a lot of us have a mix of tools
Some of us might be brand loyal but I am betting most are not
Me I started off with a lot of craftsman hand me downs then bought a bunch of delta at a online sale
Then as time has went on added some grizzly, jet, powermatic and a few others
Almost all the delta that I purchased used are made in usa
the jet tools i have are from Taiwan i like the jet tools I have they seem well made
Delta is no longer but a name for a Chinese co as are most other American brands
So buying American is very difficult exept used mostly what I ended up doing
Good luck
Welcome to the forum, I think you will love it.

Buying American may be more difficult than you expect and may not be as rewarding as you hoped.

I have all Jet major tools from about 2006; I doubt they were actually manufactured in USA.  They have served me well but am not sure how today's quality compares.

For the small power tools, I am not sure any one company stands out as having the best tool in each category.

Best of luck in you start up.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Your best bet for buying American presently is to seek older tools, as in back when these classic old tools were actually manufactured in this country. Visit and register over at OWWM.org ; lots of information, knowledge and photos of said tools.

Local classified ads as well as Craigslist are good sources.

Doug
(01-22-2018, 09:11 AM)oakey Wrote: From being here a while I can tell you a lot of us have a mix of tools
Some of us might be brand loyal but I am betting most are not
-snip-
Delta is no longer but a name for a Chinese co as are most other American brands

I started out brand loyal to Delta, back in the 60's.  My lathe worked in the war plant my Grandfather worked in, and it followed him home in '45, working its way to me.  I bought a couple of machines new in the 70's, while they were still Rockwell Delta, and just before they became Rockwell International.  Bought a new Unisaw in the mid-90's, too (the Pentair era), and it was made in the USA.  But they're not the same Delta any more; just a trademarked name now.  And I wouldn't touch one at this point.

I don't know what's still made in the US these days.  But I wouldn't buy anything new anyway.  Lots of old 'arn around, and used is normally half the price of new (or less) if you look around.  And if you're able to replace bearings and belts, which are usually the only things that go bad on a TS or BS (well, tires on a BS, too).  Folks often list their junk at ridiculous asking prices, but there are bargains to be found if you keep looking. 

Older Delta, Powermatic, General (especially the Canadian-made rather than the Taiwanese General International), Jet, and don't forget Grizzly, though all their stuff is made in Taiwan or China (though China may not make that distinction
Laugh ).  They're a solid brand these days, and seem to be eating everyone's lunch except for the big, expensive European machines. 

Just some random thoughts, and hardly a complete list of manufacturers.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have been woodworking for over 40 years, and for years was partial to Craftsman power tools, including a contractor saw, 3 wheel band saw, and many hand held power tools.  About 4 years ago I began to explore getting a cabinet saw, and was very frustrated with the quality of what was available at a reasonable price.

Then I discovered owwm.org, and became hooked on old US made power tools. I have purchased and restoreda Delta Unisaw (1953), 14" Delta bandsaw (1947), Delta drill press (1950), and a Delta scroll saw (1930's, currently disassembled). I confess that my interest in restoring these older tools has currently surpassed my interest in woodworking, but I will tell you that if you ever get the chance to use one of these tools that has been properly restored, you will be amazed at the quality and rock solid engineering and construction. These tools can be had for pennies on the dollar, and with a little research, restoration is not that difficult.  Sorry so long winded, but this might be another avenue for you. Check out owwm.org, a great community, as is this.

Ed
Ed
Good advice above, so I have nothing to add except welcome to the forums!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Welcome.  If you want to support American business buy any brand you like, as they are sold here regardless of the country of manufacture.  The only companies still manufacturing woodworking machinery in the USA are a couple of industrial manufacturers, and a few small time producers of specialty machines.  But as others have said, there are plenty of old woodworking machines that were made here available for half or less what you'd pay for a new machine and most were made far better.  If you are a DIY kind of guy you should have no trouble finding and rehabbing any of the major woodworking machines you'll need.  I have 1954 Unisaw, 195X Dewalt RAS, and 197X Delta 14" bandsaw.  I paid $0, $175, and $0 for them, respectively.  All in I have less than $1000 in them.  

John
You did not mention that you already considered the following:

--Size? How big is the garage and will a vehicle(s) be in the garage when you are not utilizing it as a shop?

-- Location? Need to insulate the shop for heating and cooling?

-- Electrical service? Most garages have inadequate electrical service and number of outlets. Bigger machines run better on 220 v. A more than "adequate number" of electrical outlets negates the need for extension cords. Place outlets and switches 50" above the floor so as not to blocked by sheet goods.

--Lighting? Same as electrical. Good lighting is important and white walls and ceiling will reflect light.

Taking care of the above is a great deal easier in an empty garage. Once you have taken care of any deficiencies in the above, then go search for machines.