Where to get a capacitor?
I know this just came up a short time ago...My Delta dust collector just at its capacitor.  MF Capacitor 30 mF 250W Vac.  Two wire leads. Is this a run or start cap???

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(01-22-2018, 04:53 PM)woodhead Wrote: I know this just came up a short time ago...My Delta dust collector just at its capacitor.  MF Capacitor 30 mF 250W Vac.  Two wire leads. Is this a run or start cap???

30mf sounds like a run capacitor.  Is it a dual-capacitor motor?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Where to get a capacitor?
Mcmaster - Carr is one place.
(01-22-2018, 04:53 PM)woodhead Wrote: I know this just came up a short time ago...My Delta dust collector just at its capacitor.  MF Capacitor 30 mF 250W Vac.  Two wire leads. Is this a run or start cap???

Al

If there are two capacitors replace both. I believe an electrical supply house will carry them or if you have an electric pump dealer, they will probably have them too. You can buy them online if you do not need them today or tomorrow. I have bought capacitors on Ebay .
mike
Though it could be a small start capacitor, based on the 250V rating.  Is (or was) it oil-filled?

What's the rating on the other one?  Assuming there is another one.  'Cause if there isn't, then it's a start capacitor.
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-22-2018, 05:24 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Though it could be a small start capacitor, based on the 250V rating.  Is (or was) it oil-filled?

What's the rating on the other one?  Assuming there is another one.  'Cause if there isn't, then it's a start capacitor.
Raised

I think its a start capacitor. I only found one, unless there in one buried in the switch box???  Delta 50-850 DC about 15 years old. Looks like a TEFC motor 1 1/2 Hp

Al

To Add} there are two caps, one on the side of the motor and one in the switch box. The one on the side is a 30UF ( in the metal cover, which is the one that fried!) and the one in the switch box is a 200UF.
[Image: Delta_1346563.jpg]
I turn, therefore I am!
Looks like the run cap!  The other one says starting capacitor.  

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
If you have a Grainger near by they will have them, any motor shop or Amazon.   Suggest replacing both while you are at it as they are probably the same age.   The 200uf is the starting and the 30 uf is the running.    Voltage ratings should be at least what they are now, more won't hurt but check the physical size to make sure they will fit.   Roly
Thanks Guys!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
There ya go. Be sure you get the same type capacitor (polypropylene probably), as an electrolytic start cap won't hold up under continuous operation.
Tom