lathe identification
(01-24-2018, 08:28 AM)Admiral Wrote: Sorta like wives and girlfriends.....
Laugh

Looked over your shoulder before you typed that- didn't ya?  
Big Grin
I'm scared of lathes! Been told that they lead to the deepest and darkest $$$ pits of all of woodworking and the addiction is pervasive and all encompassing.
What's A Boy To Do?
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
(01-24-2018, 09:12 AM)daddo Wrote:  Looked over your shoulder before you typed that- didn't ya?  
Big Grin

Nah, it's been 42 years, no straying on my end, but I could be a bit more sympathetic in listening to her troubles and ignoring, rather than commenting upon, instances where she is clearly wrong about something and just let it lie..... rather than pointing out how she is wrong.  I'm getting better holding my tongue with regard to the latter.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-24-2018, 11:22 AM)MoreToolsForMe Wrote: I'm scared of lathes! Been told that they lead to the deepest and darkest $$$ pits of all of woodworking and the addiction is pervasive and all encompassing.
What's A Boy To Do?
Gene

Give in to the dark side.
(01-24-2018, 02:05 PM)Admiral Wrote: Nah, it's been 42 years, no straying on my end, but I could be a bit more sympathetic in listening to her troubles and ignoring, rather than commenting upon, instances where she is clearly wrong about something and just let it lie..... rather than pointing out how she is wrong.  I'm getting better holding my tongue with regard to the latter.....

My wife falls asleep when I talk with her, she says; "Oh no, I wasn't asleep- I can focus better on what your saying with my eyes closed."  
Smirk

I use this site a lot for information and ID'ing tools.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/bytype.aspx
I have two lathes in my shop.  One is an OLD Rockwell 14x36, mod 46111.  I bought it used in 1977.  It is still going strong.  My other lathe is a Craftsman MIDI,  used primarily to turn Christmas tree decorations.  Big lathes are very nice, but can get expensive.  I know that the lathe tools I have cost more than the lathes.  Restore the old lathe and have fun making things and mistakes.
Non Carborundum Illigitimus
(01-24-2018, 11:22 AM)MoreToolsForMe Wrote: I'm scared of lathes! Been told that they lead to the deepest and darkest $$$ pits of all of woodworking and the addiction is pervasive and all encompassing.
What's A Boy To Do?
Gene

Nobody told me that. I had to find out for myself. It’s called “The Vortex” for a reason.

But I can quit anytime. Really I can. The Robust and Oneway catalogs hidden behind the bench are just to keep the dust out.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.