roll on waterproof membrane- any experince?
im getting ready to do a bathroom remodel for my neice. although ive done quite a bit of tile, i havent done a tub surround. i was wondering about this roll on membrane
https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-ru...155&ipos=1

anyone have any experience with it? does it work good? easy to work with? easier than this:
https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-ru...155&ipos=4

beings how the tiles going to be up about 6' on 3 walls( im tearing out the glass block and framing a wall to the ceiling. moving the little niche to that wall,too), that product would require 2 rolls. not only that, id have to mix up thinset to put it on. seems more expensive and more time consuming.

its going to be nice to see her get rid of this....ummmm.... yeah......style out and something fresh in there.

any experience and/or advise is greatly appreciated.

crappy picture time.
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Have you visited the John Bridge Forum? link

All Things Tile forum.
Should have mentioned I searched "PROVA-Mat" and got 6 pages of hits on the JB Forum.
I have used a roll on product called Red Guard.   The main thing about products like that is to get a thick enough coating and complete coating.    Be sure and follow the directions, thinning the first coat of Red Guard helps a lot, second coat full strength.  It produces a thick coating that thin set adheres to very well.   With the red color you can see variations in coating thickness easily, don't know how the white coating works.
 The John Bridge site is very good on anything about tile.    Roly
Pretty good price for that.  Higher at Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/CUSTOM-PRODUCTS-L...e+for+tile
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-23-2018, 10:34 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Have you visited the John Bridge Forum? link

All Things Tile forum.

i have no idea why i didnt think there would be a forum dedicated to tile. thanks for the link!
(01-23-2018, 05:21 PM)tomsteve Wrote: i have no idea why i didnt think there would be a forum dedicated to tile. thanks for the link!

Redguard  and the Kerdi fabric are  excellent products.
I've used the Kerdi Board (de-coupling membrane) on floors, never used the fabric. I do pre-made shower bases or a mud base with a full copper pan with 6 mil poly and wonderboard on the walls. I use Red Guard for backsplashes; I wouldn't trust that alone for a shower wall.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I've used RedGuard and Mapei AquaDefense. No problems with either one. Read the warrant on RedGuard, there's quite a time span between using it and applying thinset and tile.

Assuming you decide to go with cement board and a cement pan: Use liberally (at least two coats on all inside and outside corners and I generally roll 2 coats on the flat surfaces. Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight and get a bag of 4" chip brushes.  for the corners. Don''t bother trying to clean the brushes or rollers, it will be cheaper to just buy cheap brushes and rollers and toss'em. I haven't had any problems with the Oatey membranes.

Keep in mind, I've never done a Shluter/Kerdi shower. For walls in a shower, use the liquid.  
[/url]
[url=https://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-4-in-industrial-grade-chip-brushes-61494.html]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

We just had our bathroom redone and the guy used the rubber membrane over the cement board base. He ran the membrane about 1/3 up the walls. He sealed all of the joints on the board and rubber. He liked using the board and rubber for a base compared to the pan. I saw him put it in and it’s not going to leak.
Don