Makita 2040 Planer
I volunteer at a local maker space and we have a Makita 2040 that a member was a little rough on. One of the feed rollers has a bent shaft and one of the drive shafts has sheared off. Does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to sell for parts?
(01-23-2018, 11:03 AM)imawreck Wrote: I volunteer at a local maker space and we have a Makita 2040 that a member was a little rough on. One of the feed rollers has a bent shaft and one of the drive shafts has sheared off. Does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to sell for parts?

I have the Makita 2012NB planer shown below - did not know they made another model (assume an older machine?) - but looking online this Makita Parts Site appears to list parts for that model - not sure if the listings include what your want?  And if not, check on eBay which often is a good source for these types of items.  Good luck - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(01-23-2018, 11:03 AM)imawreck Wrote: I volunteer at a local maker space and we have a Makita 2040 that a member was a little rough on. One of the feed rollers has a bent shaft and one of the drive shafts has sheared off. Does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to sell for parts?

I have a 2030 which is the combo jointer/planer and I can tell you that any Makita machine of that era is going to be as rare as hens teeth to find.  I think the reality is that the maker space owns the parts machine, and you are not going to find another one to fix it with.  Shame, because they are good machines though the universal motors they power them with are real screamers.   Unless you can find a machine shop to make some new parts, it would be far cheaper and quicker to find some other planer to replace it with.
When I bought the planer for my shop, I had to put up the entire shop as collateral to the bank for the loan on my Makita 2040 planer.  As I remember it, the cost was somewhere around $2,000.

The last time I needed a feed roller fixed I took it to a machine shop and he repaired the end of the shaft.

I could not even begin to estimate the amount of board feet that has gone through that machine.

I started my shop and bought that planer in 1980 - 38 years ago!  
Big Grin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/makita...6_454.html

Hope this helps!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/d/m...68775.html

Makita Planer - $350 (san carlos)

For sale a Makita Planer model 2040. This is a little bigger than a bench top planer but a lot smaller than a floor planer and works just as good as floor planer. It is mostly working order and has a 16" bed. It does need new feed rollers, and you can probably get them from Western Roller Corporation
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-23-2018, 11:10 PM)Bob10 Wrote: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/d/m...68775.html

For sale a Makita Planer model 2040. This is a little bigger than a bench top planer but a lot smaller than a floor planer and works just as good as floor planer. It is mostly working order and has a 16" bed. It does need new feed rollers, and you can probably get them from Western Roller Corporation

Man, I've never seen a honey hole like what you've got going in SF! Incredible.
(01-23-2018, 11:10 PM)Bob10 Wrote: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/d/m...68775.html

I am totally confused by that CL description..the Makita 2040 *is* a floor-standing planer. A "little" bigger than a benchtop?!?

A shame about the OPs machine..the 2040s are nice. Used to see 2040s in college woodshops as they could take abuse.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(01-23-2018, 09:15 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/makita...6_454.html

Hope this helps!

Just a word to the wise.  My experience with places that list parts of every tool ever built are in fact linking to some other companies database that purports to have these parts on hand.  You order the part and then it's on order, then maybe its back-ordered and then maybe it ships and maybe it doesn't.  The only way to know for sure is to identify the the parts that need replacing and order then and see what happens.  If the machine needs new feed rollers as well as some gears, it may be several hundred dollars of parts to get it back to working order.  Used griz 15" planers are somewhere in that same price range.

I have the 2030 and I rebuilt it when I got it more than 10 years ago.  Nice machine, good build quality, came from Japan.  At the time I got it, I had the feed rollers redone by Western.  Think it cost me back then about 200 including shipping them out and back.  They cast a polyurethane sleeve around the metal shaft that has a high durometer rating (70 I think) and should last the the life of the machine.  This company makes feed rollers for industrial use, so they know what they are doing.

When I rebuilt my machine, I ordered replacement knives for both the jointer and planer.  Still haven't used them yet.   But I did that because I knew that at a certain point, they would become unobtainable.  

And yes, I've always thought that San Fran was quite the honey hole for old machinery, shame I live on the opposite coast...
(01-24-2018, 05:19 PM)gov.cheese Wrote: Man, I've never seen a honey hole like what you've got going in SF! Incredible.

What's funny is I only post the deals I don't pick up myself
Laugh  Yet at this point I am doing a whole lot less of that because I ran out of floor space
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.