Japanese Fishtail chisel
I was at a garage sale recently, and I picked up a 1/2" Japanese Fishtail chisel for $20.  I really never had any desire or intention on buying one of these chisels, but this one was in pretty decent shape, so I picked it up.  I don't have any Japanese chisels, so I have no clue how to go about sharpening the chisel.  I use water stones for all my sharpening, so I'm assuming I can use these for this chisel.  I would appreciate any advice and recommendations on sharpening.  

Harry
“Show us a man who never makes a mistake and we will show a man who never makes anything." 
(01-23-2018, 05:17 PM)Harry Page Wrote: I was at a garage sale recently, and I picked up a 1/2" Japanese Fishtail chisel for $20.  I really never had any desire or intention on buying one of these chisels, but this one was in pretty decent shape, so I picked it up.  I don't have any Japanese chisels, so I have no clue how to go about sharpening the chisel.  I use water stones for all my sharpening, so I'm assuming I can use these for this chisel.  I would appreciate any advice and recommendations on sharpening.  

Harry

Your water stones should be fine. I don't know how you sharpen, but most Japanese chisel owners hone the entire bezel rather than using a micro bevel. YMMV
I use my Japanese chisels all the time and sharpen them frequently. I use a Norton pink stone to grind out nicks and AO sandpaper to sharpen and hone. I flatten the backs just like western chisels and I put micro bevels on the front. I beat on the chisels with a Japanese hammer and don't hold back. These chisels hold up well without all the fuss and babying that some people think they need. Steel is just steel.

But I think I might be a little more gentle with a fish tail chisel because it gets more narrow with every sharpening.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com