Rust in Shop - Cool Temps / warm humid
Like "willyou" said. Before I insulated my shop, condensate would be an issue. Now that the shop remains cool much longer during warmer periodic days, I have no condensation. Fast temp changes are the worst.

The light bulb trick is good to keep the metal warm and a fan running does good in that it causes the metal to change temp along with the space more evenly- otherwise the metal is a cold spot.

I use whatever oil/lube I have on hand and rub it in thinly. Doesn't matter to me. Your just placing a layer between the metal and the air. Even vegetable oil works for me.
(01-23-2018, 07:31 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I hadn't been to my shop in a couple of weeks.  We had record cold temps here in Houston, but after about a week of freezing, we hit 75 with high humidity.  Guess what happened?  A light coating of rust on every bare metal surface.

What is the best treatment to prevent this?  I've been waxing but obviously that won't stop this type of attack.

I remember someone using Varsol or Ospho?  I was thinking about treating it and maybe a spray coat of lacquer?

You are in Houston.  You said the temp was 75.  
Remove the water vapor before it gets to your tools.
Make sure your shop is relatively well sealed.
Invest in a dehumidifier and set it to 50%.

Most dehumidifiers are effective till you get down to maybe 45* or so.
My shop is in an old warehouse, no air conditioning, air just blows right through, 50 foot ceilings connected to other shops under an acre of roof.  I sometimes do not visit the shop for a week or two.  So I probably just need to keep the surfaces well waxed and covered when I leave, during the "winter"months here.  We had weather in the 20's for several days followed by a quick rise to 75 and humid - recipe for rust.  

I'll keep researching some other surface treatment for the bare steel.
(01-25-2018, 08:35 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: My shop is in an old warehouse, no air conditioning, air just blows right through, 50 foot ceilings connected to other shops under an acre of roof.  I sometimes do not visit the shop for a week or two.  So I probably just need to keep the surfaces well waxed and covered when I leave, during the "winter"months here.  We had weather in the 20's for several days followed by a quick rise to 75 and humid - recipe for rust.  

I'll keep researching some other surface treatment for the bare steel.

In that case your choices are limited. As Oldwood2409 does, keep your stationary tools covered. Also, keep your hand tools in drawers, cabinets, or other containers. Of course, keeping tools coated with wax or other coating is always good. This will take care of most if not all the problem.

Sounds like a neat place for a shop.
(01-23-2018, 07:31 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I hadn't been to my shop in a couple of weeks.  We had record cold temps here in Houston, but after about a week of freezing, we hit 75 with high humidity.  Guess what happened?  A light coating of rust on every bare metal surface.

What is the best treatment to prevent this?  I've been waxing but obviously that won't stop this type of attack.

I remember someone using Varsol or Ospho?  I was thinking about treating it and maybe a spray coat of lacquer?
Water and oxygen causes rust..To prevent it long term, I use light grease..just a thin coat...One good grease I have used for many years is R.I.G. {Rust Inhibiting Grease} available at gun supply stores like Brownell's. I use it on firearms worth more than a Saw-Stop..
Crazy I trust it because it has proven itself to me...Even Vaseline petroleum jelly works....and it just takes a light film of it.
Wax is not waterPROOF...Grease is....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Here's a rust test.

https://imgur.com/a/vxF8N#SZusRKG