Workbench location
(01-25-2018, 03:00 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: My shop just just about exactly the same size as rlance's shop. My bench is in (near) the center of one end. I don't often work from the "off" side of the bench, but I like being able to work on large pieces that can extend off the back of the bench. I used to have my bench against a wall, but I like my current placement much better. My advice would be to try your bench away from the window and see if you like it. You can always move it if you don't.
I am going to move it to the middle of the floor and give it a shot.

Harry
“Show us a man who never makes a mistake and we will show a man who never makes anything." 
(01-24-2018, 05:39 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: My workbench is up against a wall with a big window.  I love the window.  I hate that I can't easily get around to the other side of the bench.

If I could, I'd move the workbench toward the middle of the room, but maybe 4-5 feet from the window so as to still take advantage of the natural light.  Then I'd probably hang a shop light or two directly above the bench.

ditto!
I've always had my bench away from the wall about 4'.  The then work with the wall behind me.  I then build a narrow "back bench" against the wall behind where I work.  This back bench is where I set my tools keeping the bench free.  I can also use both benches when needed.

here is a picture.
http://web.alliancecom.net/cb/Woodshop/s...bench1.jpg

I've had this setup in previous shops and love it.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(01-26-2018, 10:35 AM)Harry Page Wrote: I am going to move it to the middle of the floor and give it a shot.

Harry

I currently  have my bench against a wall, which is the wall with the window in my shop.  I tried moving it to the middle of the floor, and didn't find that I gained anything by having access to all sides.  I moved it back to the wall, and it has been there ever since.
I was going to say two things: "on the floor," and "depends on shop size;" but you've figured out the first, and announced the second, so my ideas are no use.

I have a tiny shop that forces the bench against the wall; but I've often thought that, if I had a big enough shop for the bench to be away from the wall, I'd put the hand tool storage against the wall, four feet or so from the face of the bench, with maybe a small flat surface to put tools in use but not immediately in use on - for instance, the layout tools could rest there while I'm shaping a piece, then migrate to the bench when it was layout time again.  This is all in my fantasy life, though, so take it for what it's worth.
I have mine with the end of the bench against the wall under a window.  I can get to both sides, even though the shop is small.
(02-16-2018, 01:19 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I was going to say two things: "on the floor," and "depends on shop size;" but you've figured out the first, and announced the second, so my ideas are no use.

I have a tiny shop that forces the bench against the wall; but I've often thought that, if I had a big enough shop for the bench to be away from the wall, I'd put the hand tool storage against the wall, four feet or so from the face of the bench, with maybe a small flat surface to put tools in use but not immediately in use on - for instance, the layout tools could rest there while I'm shaping a piece, then migrate to the bench when it was layout time again.  This is all in my fantasy life, though, so take it for what it's worth.

I don't have much room in my shop, and my bench is relatively small.  It is 70" long, and 24" wide.  Due to space limitations I have it against the wall.  I read in articles and blogs that most bench's are north of 8' long.  I never had any issues with the size of my bench.  I have a secondary bench/router table that I use for glue ups and assembly when needed.