Turning brass on the wood lathe...freehand
Paul Hamler's video shows it being turned on his South Bend metal lathe but it can be done on a wood lathe just as easily .You can make the turning tools for brass also. You may have some old files you can grind the tools out of..A right-angle grinder comes in handy for making the various tool styles for the job..He shows the the thumb cut-out being done on a milling machine but it can be done by hand, using files..just saw away most of the metal for the shoulders with a hack saw, and it won't leave much to be removed with files.
You can also make "Saracen's cap" thumb screws even easier..You may have seen them in use on the old Scottish and English planes for the lever caps..Making them won't require much filing, except for the thumb-gripping serrations.
Note that you can also turn aluminum freehand on the wood lathe very easily, the same way you turn brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hmGPNMn9FQ
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have always been leery of hot metal shaving anywhere in my woodshop
(01-25-2018, 06:01 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I have always been leery of hot metal shaving anywhere in my woodshop

I've turned aluminum on my wood lathe and it doesn't get hot.  If you're worried about an angle grinder on metal set up a deflector that lets the metal cool down forst, or it's easy enough to take the work outside.
(01-25-2018, 06:01 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I have always been leery of hot metal shaving anywhere in my woodshop

That's a valid concern when it comes to turning steel, because it can generate 500* when the chips come off the lathe blue, but brass or aluminum never gets that hot, especially turning freehand.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-25-2018, 04:05 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Paul Hamler's video shows it being turned on his South Bend metal lathe but it can be done on a wood lathe just as easily .You can make the turning tools for brass also. You may have some old files you can grind the tools out of..A right-angle grinder comes in handy for making the various tool styles for the job..He shows the the thumb cut-out being done on a milling machine but it can be done by hand, using files..just saw away most of the metal for the shoulders with a hack saw, and it won't leave much to be removed with files.
    You can also make "Saracen's cap" thumb screws even easier..You may have seen them in use on the old Scottish and English planes for the lever caps..Making them won't require much filing, except for the thumb-gripping serrations.
     Note that you can also turn aluminum freehand on the wood lathe very easily, the same way you turn brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hmGPNMn9FQ

I do not have enough allowance left yet to watch but I will.   All I know is how much I miss a metal lathe and mill and if I ever get a Oxy/Ace welder I can make some of my own tools and embellishment's to wood turning as well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I like the info.  I am thinking you could do something similar with small knobs and an angle grinder.  OTOH I need a custom piece of plumbing and this could get it done just need to send it off for chroming
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thumb screws; I take a bolt and heat the head red/orange hot and hammer it down flat, then sand/polish/shape it to taste or use as is.
(01-30-2018, 03:13 PM)daddo Wrote: Thumb screws; I take a bolt and heat the head red/orange hot and hammer it down flat, then sand/polish/shape it to taste or use as is.
Good idea...Never thought about forging one..No forge but I could do it with my oxy-acetylene rig. I may have to try it.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

All of my turning tools have custom handles with brass ferrules fashioned from brass fittings.  I started turning brass very shortly after I had a lathe.  The shavings are warm but never hot, at least that has been my experience.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
that was a really interesting video, thanks for posting it.  Now I'm thinking of trying to hand turn stainless for tubing bending dies.  There are programs to list the coordinates for radiused cuts, but I'm pretty sure that hand turning them would be quicker and just as good

Makes me wonder if there really is a reason not to use my metal lathe for wood.  It's a lot better lathe.