Do You Use Your Planing Stop?
Mine sits there on the end of the bench.  Alone.  Forlorn.  Doesn't get to play with the other kids.  Often covered in piles of stuff.  Leg vise, tail vise, crochet, all get regular use.  "What am I, chopped liver??" cries the Planing Stop.  "Let me play too!".  
Laugh

Part of it is my fault - both ends of my bench have crap piled around them, making it hard to really do decent work at the bench ends.  Long items are a challenge.

But I decided to finally put it to use while beveling the edges of some railing I am making.  I can't say it was a successful attempt, because the far end of the 6' rail I was working on would not sit still.   I need to hold it still while keeping the edges almost compleley free, so that I can bevel the edges with a plane. Got any ideas on this?

Right now I'm holding it down with about a 3/8" grip with a two holdfasts.  Here's a sample of what I'm working on.

[Image: 39016159975_474790366e_c.jpg]
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I use bench dogs.  I don't even have a planing stop.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I use a pair of Veritas planing stops.  A short one at the end, and the long one along the long edge of the board/panel being planed.  This is necessary for traversing, but helpful for planing with the grain, as well.

If working with big pieces, I'd tend to clamp a thinner piece down as a faence, rather than clamp the workpiece itself.

Matt
My bench is twice as good as yours,  I only pile crap on one end. [Image: wink.png]

To hold that piece, you need a sticking board.  Here is one approach   https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw...king-board

Another option, which is what I do, is use a piece of 2 by 4, stick it in the shoulder vise so that it the right depth below the top of the bench for the stock you are working on, and clamp the far end of the 2 by 4 to the other end of the bench.  screw a small piece of wood as a stop ( or just use a brass screw ) near the shoulder vise and you are good to go.  The advantage in this setup is that you can adjust how far it is below the top depending on the thickness of the stock you are using..
I use whatever means at hand at the moment.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I just use a few scraps.....IF I wanted a real stop, it would be about like this one..

Bad news is, I would have to buy this bench that comes with it..
No 

Don't have the room for it, nor the $225 + Tax to buy it...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I use my planing stop ALL THE TIME.  But it's not a conventional one.  It's a piece of plywood with two slots in it, attached to the end of my bench with threaded rod and wing nuts.  Just loosen the wing nuts, raise the stop, and tighten the nuts again.  And because it's attached to the end of the bench rather than the top, it's almost impossible to bury it with junk.

Here's a full description of the planing stop on my blog.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I just clamp a f clamp to the bench top, handle down, and butt whatever it is I'm working on against the clamp.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-27-2018, 09:43 PM)mdhills Wrote: I use a pair of Veritas planing stops.  A short one at the end, and the long one along the long edge of the board/panel being planed.  This is necessary for traversing, but helpful for planing with the grain, as well.

If working with big pieces, I'd tend to clamp a thinner piece down as a faence, rather than clamp the workpiece itself.
That sounds like a good solution.

bandit571 Wrote:Don't have the room for it, nor the $225 + Tax to buy it...
Pretty expensive stop, there, bandit.  
Laugh  Mine is made from scrap wood....

Bibliophile Wrote:It's a piece of plywood with two slots in it, attached to the end of my bench with threaded rod and wing nuts.  Just loosen the wing nuts, raise the stop, and tighten the nuts again.
I knew there was a reason I should have cut the end of my bench off flat.....It's still the raw unfinished end left over from the benchtop glue up.  Good approach, Bibliophile.

barryvabeach Wrote:My bench is twice as good as yours,  I only pile crap on one end.
No doubt.  
Laugh  Maybe I can send you some stuff for that second pile.  Thanks for that link, I had a thought gnawing at the back of my brain that the Schwarz would have a solution for this, thanks for the link.  Your 2x4 solution sounds like it would work also.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I only use a plane stop for face planing material too thin to dog.

The reason I clamp between dogs is when planing with just a stop, the unsupported end tends to move and splay out.