Looking for
I have a small project I am working on. The top has a couple of rounded outside edges and a rounded inside edge. I want to duplicate the same shapes but 1" from the outside edge. I want to cut the center out but the remaining piece needs to be equal all around. I want to place plexiglass in the center. I can figure the obvious section of straight cuts but the curves are not coming out even and it will show. I can easily cut the inside out with a scrollsaw. That is not the problem. What I am looking for either a factory made contour guide or a handmade one. I hope I am explaining what I want to do plain enough. 

I thought I saw one time a jig that can do this and it had 2 points so that as you trace around the curves those 2 points need to touch the wood at all times but a center point that holds the pencil will travel in the same plane at all times. Not sure what that tool is called but again looking for help and maybe a link to a tool or a photo of one made. The project is 6" X8" so it is not a large top for a box. Thanks in advance.
John T.
Hello - your post is just 'begging' for a pic or two - can you provide one or several?  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Maybe making a jig like this for your router would work?
[Image: 28155772799_edc5d99ec0_o_d.jpg]
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(01-27-2018, 03:45 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote:  I thought I saw one time a jig that can do this and it had 2 points so that as you trace around the curves those 2 points need to touch the wood at all times but a center point that holds the pencil will travel in the same plane at all times. Not sure what that tool is called but again looking for help and maybe a link to a tool or a photo of one made. 

Rockler sells corner radius templates for marking inside and outside corners.

http://www.rockler.com/quick-corners-set...&sid=V9146

Or make a set....

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2012/09/13/...out-tools/
I can not show any photos because this is part of a project that will be entered in a contest over at IAP pen turning site and not allowed to show photos before the contest. Not sure if there are members here. 

None of those things will work. The top of this box is 6" X 8" and I have the outside edge layed out and in fact it is cut to size and shape. Now I want to make a plexiglass insert the exact shape but reduced size so that I can inlay it. Using that router ide I will try to make something on a smaller scale. Will post a photo of the jig if i get one to work. that is not against any rules. Thanks.
John T.
After it is all said and done I would love to see what you are making.  I am a member there and only went there twice in 3 years and do not even know my password.  I do like looking at the pens tho.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you can turn the box upside down and trace the outside rim, you can offset the tracing by 1".
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Arlin the contest is in Feb and by the end of Feb I will be posting it to many forums. It will be a pen box entry. If you remember this was my last years entry that won and I am sure I posted this here and everywhere. 

I did get a very good answer on another forum that did the trick. very simply make a round disc twice the size I need to move the edges in and drill the center for a pencil point. Now follow the edges and draw the duplicate lines. Worked great. Will remember that one.

Attached Files Image(s)

John T.