basement window windowsill -- what material?
How about planing it, is it tougher on knives than poplar or other materials?
I've never had a need to plane it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-28-2018, 02:53 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: How about planing it, is it tougher on knives than poplar or other materials?

We had our porch/deck re-done (was PT lumber) w/ Trex about 10 years ago (2 pics below) and looks the same - need an occasional pressure washing to remove grime/mold but then looks new again - I made a few items (artificial plant holders for the porch and some short tables) from the left overs - cuts w/ my carbide-tipped miter saw - needs pilot holes and screws - special fasteners are used to hold the 'boards' together so only a few stainless steel screws show.  The head of the installing team said he could make 3-4 decks of wood vs. using this composite material - 
Laugh  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
It's easier on tools than wood.
(01-28-2018, 02:53 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: How about planing it, is it tougher on knives than poplar or other materials?

About the same as pine. In a thickness planer, you get what looks like little straws. A porta-planer makes shorter straws. A router makes a big mess!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-27-2018, 06:54 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Why not Azek?

+1 for Azek.  No wood trim on the exterior of my house.  Parents live in a old wood sided house, constantly painting and patching.  I had no interest in that.
(01-28-2018, 10:20 AM)EricU Wrote: I was looking at the Azek product line, is the suggestion just to use a deck board?  I don't see any flat pieces in their trim or molding lines

Home depot and lowes both have a Azeks area with a bunch of different widths and styles, Its not with the decking but Plywood/trim wood area.  In Home Depot its on the end of the isle away from the door.  Lezzer also carries it and might have /or can get styles that Home depot and Lowes don't carry.

You can also go to a plumbing supply and get clear pvc glue and cleaner which is probably better priced than the name brand.
(01-29-2018, 11:46 AM)mad_planter Wrote: +1 for Azek.  No wood trim on the exterior of my house.  Parents live in a old wood sided house, constantly painting and patching.  I had no interest in that.

I love how I'm getting the credit for bringing-up Azek.  Sorry K. L.!
(01-29-2018, 12:41 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I love how I'm getting the credit for bringing-up Azek.  Sorry K. L.!

Didn't bring it up but I think you were the last to mention it.
I was in a hurry today, so I just saw the trim boards, I didn't look around for anything else.  I take it there are plugs so I can hide screw heads?