What blade for bandsaw boxes?
Another thread motivates me to give bandsaw boxes a go.

Do you folks use 1/4" or do you go even thinner?  Thanks.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I've done a number of them.  Always used 3/16" 10 TPI.
3/16 10tpi
Is any particular brand favored for this?  Or just generic blades like Olsen, who makes a 3/16" x 10 tpi in an 80" length that fits my old Craftsman?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-28-2018, 08:57 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: 3/16 10tpi

I have been using Timberwolf.  Obviously not for bandsaw boxes, but for other stuff.  I have found less cleanup (less time on the planer or sander) with the Timberwolf.  I will be using a 3/8" Timberwolf when I make my attempt at boxes also.

I also use the Carter blade stabilizer when using narrow blades.  I am hoping it works as well for something a bit taller, like a box, as it does for thinner work.

[Image: CTR3_Blue.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
So when would you guys us or ever use a 1/8" blade?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-28-2018, 02:56 PM)Cecil Wrote: I have been using Timberwolf.  Obviously not for bandsaw boxes, but for other stuff.  I have found less cleanup (less time on the planer or sander) with the Timberwolf.  I will be using a 3/8" Timberwolf when I make my attempt at boxes also.

I also use the Carter blade stabilizer when using narrow blades.  I am hoping it works as well for something a bit taller, like a box, as it does for thinner work.

[Image: CTR3_Blue.jpg]

I started with Olsen, and switched to Viking (formerly Timberwolf), for the same reasons you've stated.
I've used the Carter stabilizer for making boxes, and it seems to work well on them, but I eventually left it off due to the time it takes to switch over and reset guides. If I had a second bandsaw I'd leave the stabilizer on one of them permanently.
I have used a 1/8” for tighter curves on certain boxes.
When someone invents the spiral bandsaw blade (like they already have for scroll saws) I'll be a happy camper! But I think the bandsaw tires might object
Big Grin
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
I recommend to the Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 3/16" x 105", 10 TPI
Features:
1. Made with High silicon and low carbide steel
2. It is Ideal for resawing thick stock
3. Runs cooler and lasts longer
4. It Runs under low tension which requires less horsepower