SUCCESS with veneers at last (mostly)!!! (pics inside)
Thumbs Up 
Well, as you may recall, a few weeks ago I ran into major issues with some veneer and I had to basically scrap the parts and get more material. I had to wait a while to get it, and so my project was on hold. I was using Pomelle Maple veneer, but for the second try I went with some Curly, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I got pretty good joint lines along the bookmatch and despite some small color variation here and there (especially with the small burls at the innermost part of one of the panels), I like how they look! I'm gonna be cutting the grooves and other joints over the next couple or three days so I can start putting the whole side assemblies together! I'm just glad the veneer I got didn't have any knife marks. The figure is also MUCH more pronounced than the Pomelle I was working with before. All I've done so far is sand the panels to 180 grit with my ROS and then after testing with some denatured alcohol (to make sure now veneer tape glue spots remained), I put on one coat of Minwax Polycrylic. Even with just that, the figure REALLY comes out!

A couple other questions, though: should I finish the other side of the panel as well like I would with solid wood? I know veneering both sides is important, but is finishing both sides important as well? Since the inside of the panels isn't going to sit flush with the edges of the legs that will contain supporting dadoes for the dust panels, I'm going to install some strips on the inside and rout dadoes into those as well to offer additional support. If I do have to finish the panels on the inside, what would be the best glue to use to adhere those strips of wood to the inside of the panel? I know Poly glue would work, but is there something less messy that still offers good holding strength?

EDIT: I STILL can't figure out why the pics show up rotated 90 degrees to the left!?!?!?

Attached Files Image(s)

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
EDIT: I STILL can't figure out why the pics show up rotated 90 degrees to the left!?!?!?
[/quote]

Are you using a cell phone to take your pictures?

Hi Kingwood - I downloaded the 2 larger images which came in correctly and combined into a 'combo' pic below - like the 'curly maple' - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(01-28-2018, 09:55 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Kingwood - I downloaded the 2 larger images which came in correctly and combined into a 'combo' pic below - like the 'curly maple' - Dave
Smile

Thanks, and thanks! And yes, to the other responder, I am using my cell phone (iPhone 7) to take them.
Near future projects:

Thats a lotta figure in those!!
(01-28-2018, 11:05 PM)GlenS Wrote: Thats a lotta figure in those!!

Yes, I was quite surprised with the figure even when it was unfinished. I will say, though, that the burls in the middle of one of the panels is on the verge of being an eyesore. The rest of the panel still looks fine, though, so I'll just be more careful about that stuff in the future. Check out https://www.veneersupplies.com/index.php  That's where I got the main and backer veneer as well as the glue, roller, softener, and veneer tape. It's a small business mostly run by a guy named Joe and his wife, and it's nice to help out those kinds of people, so I've decided to switch to using their veneer glue almost exclusively since it's worked VERY well on the veneers and can also double as a regular wood glue. The roller I got from him is out of this world...it's not like those cheapo rubber or plastic ones. It's sort of like a foam rubber material, and the thing actually rolls instead of getting stuck like others do. Plus, you can wash it with soap and warm water and keep using it over and over. All-in-all it's been a very pleasant experience both in terms of their customer service and their products. He also has a sister website here: http://joewoodworker.com/
Near future projects: