Sanding/dust control
My traditional method of dust collection was to do my sanding outside.  But I now live in a cold Northern City, it was much easier in San Diego.  I now have to figure out how to sand safely indoors.  I made the mistake of doing the first pass with 80 grit on a 6” ROS on a large group of drawer face fronts without anything attached to the sander.  The next day I noticed a large layer of dust on the area of the shop where the exhaust was pointed, surprise, surprise.  The next day I plugged my large older Rigid Shop Vac.  It made a huge difference in the quality of air when done sanding.

The one problem I have with my big/old shop vac is it is too big (no where to store it) and the hose is too stiff, making it awkward to use the sander.  I would like to replace this vacuum with a tool-box vacuum.  I just picked up a Rigid 5 HP lunchbox vacuum WD4522.  I will soon have a full shop dust collection system with a .5 micron Wynn filter.  Can I safely sand in my own shop using either the shop dust collection system, or my lunchbox vacuum.

The toolbox vac is still in the box and can be returned.  Should I consider a better shop vac (Fein or Festool) for a better dust control system?
A carpenter's house is never done.
A downdraft table is the standard.  They are pretty expensive, but you can make one yourself.

Here's a video on a simple one:  https://www.google.com/search?q=downdraf...#kpvalbx=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-29-2018, 08:19 AM)Cooler Wrote: A downdraft table is the standard.  They are pretty expensive, but you can make one yourself.

Here's a video on a simple one:  https://www.google.com/search?q=downdraf...#kpvalbx=1

Thanks, got one its been on the shelf in the box for a long time.  I just put it together last week and will be using it when the dust collection gets up and running.
If you don't want to build a downdraft table, you can capture a lot of fine particulate matter with your cyclone. I use a large-mouthed duct clamped to my workbench just where I'm sanding. The cyclone moves a lot of air and will capture most of the fine sanding dust as long as you keep it near where you are sanding.

[Image: 39071471215_9e55d6779a_c.jpg]IMG_1292 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

The photo shows plane shavings, but I had been sanding drawer fronts just prior to the photo.
(01-29-2018, 11:57 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: If you don't want to build a downdraft table, you can capture a lot of fine particulate matter with your cyclone. I use a large-mouthed duct clamped to my workbench just where I'm sanding. The cyclone moves a lot of air and will capture most of the fine sanding dust as long as you keep it near where you are sanding.

The photo shows plane shavings, but I had been sanding drawer fronts just prior to the photo.

That's a similar principle to how I collect dust at my lathe when using the sanding disc - just an open 6" duct, located near the bottom of the disc, mostly under the sanding disc table.  It might work better with a hood of sorts, but it moves so much air, and the dust coming off the disc is coming off under the table, that it seems to get it all.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-29-2018, 11:57 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: If you don't want to build a downdraft table, you can capture a lot of fine particulate matter with your cyclone. I use a large-mouthed duct clamped to my workbench just where I'm sanding. The cyclone moves a lot of air and will capture most of the fine sanding dust as long as you keep it near where you are sanding.

I had a box, I bought a few years ago sitting on the shelf that had a nice sized downdraft box, that i finally put together, so when my dust collection is up and running I will use it.  Once i figure out how to get my ducting run to the individual locations, I will do something like this for the drill press and bandsaw.  I also need to figure out how to get a hood for the miter station.

I was really seeing if someone was going to recommend me upgrading my shop vac to a more expensive one.  What I am hoping to set up is a downdraft or scoop with a vacuum connected directly to the tool.
I have a Fein II vac hooked to my 6" festool and bosch sander. That's all it's used for, is those 2 sanders. I have a sears auto start switch on it. I wouldn't sand inside without it.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

i recently built a dowdraft table very similar to the one in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9USUzLaMrI

i built mine 32" wide and 48" long and right into the top of one of my benches.
main difference is i didnt route out the middle section. i just used some 1 1/4" wide 3/4" thick rips of pine.
also, instead of having the runs/veins run at a 90 degree to the edges of the table, i positioned them to be 45 degrees  towards the center port. unfortunatly i didnt take pics to show what im explaining.
anyhooo, hooked up to a 1200 cfm DC, this thing ROCKS!
(01-29-2018, 01:15 PM)photobug Wrote: I had a box, I bought a few years ago sitting on the shelf that had a nice sized downdraft box, that i finally put together, so when my dust collection is up and running I will use it.  Once i figure out how to get my ducting run to the individual locations, I will do something like this for the drill press and bandsaw.  I also need to figure out how to get a hood for the miter station.

I was really seeing if someone was going to recommend me upgrading my shop vac to a more expensive one.  What I am hoping to set up is a downdraft or scoop with a vacuum connected directly to the tool.

Shop vacs are too noisy, have a lot of suction but move a smaller volume of air than does a dust collector.  I would suggest you keep the shop vac for vacuuming and use a dust collector for dust management.

I got my dust collector from Grizzly and it does a good job.  I forget what I spent, but my oil burner service man said I needed dust collection if I wanted my oil burner to run well--so it was mandatory.

The cheapo unit from Harbor Freight is just $145.00 and it is probably quieter and more efficient than any shop vac.  You can easily spend more on a shop vac than $145.00.  The HF store is just 4 miles from my house so I rarely order on line.

Mostly, my shop vacs (I have two) are too noisy.  Way too noisy.  If there was one thing I would want is a remote switch for my dust collector.  It is a nuisance to have to turn it on manually before using my table saw.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-29-2018, 03:39 PM)Cooler Wrote: Shop vacs are too noisy, have a lot of suction but move a smaller volume of air than does a dust collector.  I would suggest you keep the shop vac for vacuuming and use a dust collector for dust management.

The volume of the shop back is irrelevant as I will be running a dust collector at the same time, so will be wearing ear protection.  The only time I do not wear ear protection is when I make a quick cut on the chopsaw, and regret it.  My previous job was in a loud environment and I have always been protective with my hearing.  Now more so that my vision is becoming less than perfect.

Do those who use a downdraft table or scoop for dust collection, not also use a hose attached to the back of the sanding device also?  

The one time I attached my current vacuum to my 6" ryobi without anything else to collect dust, it was night and day in terms of shop cleanliness.  It seems to me even with a downdraft table my ROS would spit dust out it's exhaust further than the downdraft would catch.  I feel attaching a hose to the back of the ROS would be easier if it was connected to a vacuum as opposed to piping from the dust collector.

As of now I am on the fence between keeping my new Ridgid because it gets good reviews and it is super compact, I like the footprint and portability.

Then I consider the Fein.  By the time I factor in the accessory kit for the Ridgid I am only $100 more for the Fein.