Drill press question
(01-29-2018, 06:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I just force it down on the table without a bit in it. Apply ample pressure

I wouldn't suggest that myself.

A good tap with a wooden mallet with the chuck wide open will set it without stressing the pinion.

It fell out rather easily. Could be it isn't seating properly- a bur or poorly machined.  
Raised
(01-29-2018, 05:07 PM)photobug Wrote: how do I get the belts to loosen on a Delta drill press?

The small black knob that is between the motor and the chrome lever is the lock/unlock bolt that allows the motor to move.

Loosen that unlocking bolt and operate the chrome lever to move the motor and slacken the belt.

[Image: 39078841745_9b509c675a_c.jpg]

Mike
Clean the tapers with solvent (I like lacquer thinner) thoroughly before reuniting them.  Q-tip w/ solvent up into the female, cotton cloth with solvent on the male.  Do it several times.  Even a small amount of oil or other impurity on the taper will make for a bad seat.

The tip of drilling a relief hole in the kerf created by the hole saw works great for allowing the sawdust somewhere to go.
If you measure the outer diameter of the pulleys, you can get a reasonable calculation of the speed (rpm) at the quill. If the motor is turning at 1725 rpm, and the small pulley at the quill is 2" in diameter with the pulley on the motor is 4", the bit in the chuck is turning at 3450 rpm. This a good speed for some bits but not all. I get asked this quite often, the relationship is equal to the proportion of the two pulleys times the speed of the motor. The inverse of the example above is about 862 rpm. Sharp bits make a lot of difference, too.
Non Carborundum Illigitimus
(01-29-2018, 08:26 PM)daddo Wrote:  It fell out rather easily. Could be it isn't seating properly- a bur or poorly machined.  
Raised

I was prying and hammering at the wood ring stuck deeply inside the hole saw to get it to fall out.

(01-29-2018, 08:41 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: The small black knob that is between the motor and the chrome lever is the lock/unlock bolt that allows the motor to move.

Loosen that unlocking bolt and operate the chrome lever to move the motor and slacken the belt.

[Image: 39078841745_9b509c675a_c.jpg]

Mike
I've tried that even took the black knob all the way out and twisted it all the way in.  Also played with the same black knob on the other side.  The lever feels like it is locked in place, it wiggles but feels like it is up against a stop of some sort.  The machine is 20 years old and has sat idle for most of that time.  I'll go back and do some wiggling of it today to see if I can get it to free up.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(01-29-2018, 05:07 PM)photobug Wrote: If I have to change the speed how do I get the belts to loosen on a Delta drill press?

you shouldn't have to loosen the belt.  the motor position should be adjusted so that the belt is tight enough to drive the spindle, but loose enough that you can move the belt by hand.  when changing speeds you are always moving to a smaller step on at least one of the pulleys.  move the belt to the smaller step, this will loosen it.  then move the other end to the larger step.    I own two drill presses, a small 10" and a larger older Delta floor model and never move the motor on either one.
(01-30-2018, 10:20 AM)photobug Wrote: I was prying and hammering at the wood ring stuck deeply inside the hole saw to get it to fall out.

I've tried that even took the black knob all the way out and twisted it all the way in.  Also played with the same black knob on the other side.  The lever feels like it is locked in place, it wiggles but feels like it is up against a stop of some sort.  The machine is 20 years old and has sat idle for most of that time.  I'll go back and do some wiggling of it today to see if I can get it to free up.

That locking lever has a "finger" (or tab) on it inside the frame that sits in a groove on the right side motor shaft. I just looked at my parts drawing to figure that part out. If your lever wiggles a little, the stop it's up against (probably) is the shaft that's holding the motor. You can get to all this (apparently) by removing the belt pulleys, and then the housing those pulleys sit in...not sure how much work that would be. I think what i would try is to force the motor forward (with those locking bolts loose) and see if you can get it to slide back and forth. If that doesn't work you might have to remove the top of the machine to get to it. BTW, my DP is 25 years old and I'm glad i haven't had that problem.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Page 12 in the manual, Changing Spindel Speeds.

http://manuals.chudov.com/Delta-17-900-D...Manual.pdf
(01-30-2018, 10:20 AM)photobug Wrote: I've tried that even took the black knob all the way out and twisted it all the way in.  Also played with the same black knob on the other side.  The lever feels like it is locked in place, it wiggles but feels like it is up against a stop of some sort.  The machine is 20 years old and has sat idle for most of that time.  I'll go back and do some wiggling of it today to see if I can get it to free up.

Those 2 shafts in there (about 3/4") that the motor bracket bolts to, are rusted/stuck in place.
Mine did that. I removed the motor, removed those 2 lock knobs, sprayed penetrating oil in there and tapped around on the motor bracket, freeing the shafts up.
Then I removed them and applied grease in the shaft holes.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020