Dad's chisels
That’s pretty cool. Great job on the case. I have a hand full of grandpa’s tools and they are nice to have around. Have you used these Handyman chisels much? I wonder how the quality is? Albeit, I know that’s not the real reason for keeping them.

It’s interesting how your mother saved up to buy these one at a time. They must have been somewhat expensive for that day in age. Ironically, most old tool guys would turn their noses up to these if found in the wild today but the reality is they’re most likely respectable user chisels. Thanks for sharing.

Nicely done. And its great you have your Dad's chisels.
Smile
(01-31-2018, 11:43 AM)Rick Barton Wrote: Nicely done. And its great you have your Dad's chisels.
Smile

They handyman's I've run across are great.  In my experience, they are at least comparable if not better than the "Narex" stuff people go crazy about.
I once ran across a set of Handyman’s with wood handles and a tool roll that were identical to 750’s. You wouldn’t of known the difference if it wasn’t for the stamped logo. Makes me wonder how much difference there really was between the steel quality of these same era Stanley chisels. The famous Stanley No. 60’s with the yellow permaloid handles would fall into the same catagory.

(01-31-2018, 10:28 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: That’s pretty cool.  Great job on the case.  I have a hand full of grandpa’s tools and they are nice to have around.  Have you used these Handyman chisels much?  I wonder how the quality is?  Albeit, I know that’s not the real reason for keeping them.  

It’s interesting how your mother saved up to buy these one at a time.  They must have been somewhat expensive for that day in age.  Ironically, most old tool guys would turn their noses up to these if found in the wild today but the reality is they’re most likely respectable user chisels.  Thanks for sharing.
They took a little  bit of work to get the backs flat and the edge renewed.

I have been using them quite a bit lately and have been impressed how well they hold an edge 
Yes

In all fairness to my dad, he was not the one who probably abused these the most.
They hung around the shop at the nursery for many years and were abused by God only knows how many different folks over that time 
Uhoh
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(01-30-2018, 08:21 PM)2beast Wrote: These were my father's Stanley Handyman chisels

Dad was a great man but he was  not a woodworker 

They are now my bench chisels.
Not the fanciest ones out there but priceless to me 
Yes

I made  a chisel holder from quartersawn white oak to hold the set of chisels.
Keeps them close at hand and protects them.

He was certainly a great man.

I think you did him proud with those chisels!

Well done.
Peter

My "day job"
What I think is really great is that they hold memories of both your mother and your father. Can’t beat that.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
That’s a great story!

You should tuck a note into that box somewhere. Otherwise some future generation is going to be really puzzled about why somebody made such a nice box to hold plastic-handled chisels.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(02-10-2018, 10:31 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: That’s a great story!

You should tuck a note into that box somewhere. Otherwise some future generation is going to be really puzzled about why somebody made such a nice box to hold plastic-handled chisels.
That's an excellent idea.....I would even use a sticker and attach it inside the lid to make sure it stays with the box..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset