Ryoba saw question
I see they come in two types: regular with 7 tpi rip and 14 crosscut, and a "Hardwood" version with 9  tpi rip and 22 crosscut. The "hardwood" version is more expensive. I'll be using mine mainly on local hardwoods, nothing fancy. Do I need the "hardwood" version?
I use a Japanese Razor saw, with around 14 tpi, for cross cutting mostly teak and mahogany. It works extremely well and the teeth are very durable.
Wood is good. 
(01-31-2018, 09:42 PM)overland Wrote: I see they come in two types: regular with 7 tpi rip and 14 crosscut, and a "Hardwood" version with 9  tpi rip and 22 crosscut. The "hardwood" version is more expensive. I'll be using mine mainly on local hardwoods, nothing fancy. Do I need the "hardwood" version?

http://giantcypress.net/

Ask Wilber the question through his blog.  He does occasionally pop into the forums too.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
There is a lot more to Japanese saws..... Ryobas seem to be popular, I suppose because they come with both cc and rip--two in one. However, tpi/ppi is based on the length of the blade. And, there-in is the complete and utter confusion of Japanese saws.

I bought an Americanized ryoba years ago and keep searching for replacement blades. Rarely use the rip side because it is tough to keep straight, but it can cross-cut when going through beams gets boring the other way. 
Crazy
(01-31-2018, 09:42 PM)overland Wrote: I see they come in two types: regular with 7 tpi rip and 14 crosscut, and a "Hardwood" version with 9  tpi rip and 22 crosscut. The "hardwood" version is more expensive. I'll be using mine mainly on local hardwoods, nothing fancy. Do I need the "hardwood" version?

Um, didn't you answer your own question?
You don't need a "hardwood" version of a ryoba, but the higher tpi (and thinner plate with less tooth set) make for a smoother cut compared to a conventional ryoba.  After all, Western rip saws seem to do fine with 5-7 tpi versions.  There's a balance between cutting smoothly and cutting quickly.  Lower tpi usually cuts quicker, but leaves a more coarse cut and vise versa.  For the ryobas you are probably looking at, the teeth are impulse hardened, so there's no real accommodation for hardwoods being more abrasive or harder than softwoods other than the set and plate thickness.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
One reason I asked is that even the basic ryoba saw has finer teeth than comparable Western backsaws.