I need to Upgrade DJ-20 to Helical - Help please
how much does it cost?  Not sure I use my joiner enough to make it worthwhile.
(02-06-2018, 04:20 PM)EricU Wrote: how much does it cost?  Not sure I use my joiner enough to make it worthwhile.

So, quick update.  I originally ordered the Head with bearings installed... but that would drop ship from Byrd.  They said it would be next month before it shipped... I don't want to wait that long, so I am having Brian send me just the Byrd head, and I purchased bearings separately from Amazon.

Does anyone know the correct size bearings?  I think I ordered the right thing, but wanted to confirm.

The cost of the Byrd head is around $450 or so from Brian. Well worth it in my situation... I went to change the blades, that haven't been changed in years from this machine I just picked up... and realized the gib bolts were not only frozen, but stripped out... and, not only that, but 3-4 of them were missing!
Smile Easy decision for me.
(02-09-2018, 08:16 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: So, quick update.  I originally ordered the Head with bearings installed... but that would drop ship from Byrd.  They said it would be next month before it shipped... I don't want to wait that long, so I am having Brian send me just the Byrd head, and I purchased bearings separately from Amazon.

Does anyone know the correct size bearings?  I think I ordered the right thing, but wanted to confirm.

The cost of the Byrd head is around $450 or so from Brian.  Well worth it in my situation... I went to change the blades, that haven't been changed in years from this machine I just picked up... and realized the gib bolts were not only frozen, but stripped out... and, not only that, but 3-4 of them were missing!  
Smile  Easy decision for me.

I did this swap into my DJ20 about 10 years ago.
1. as someone else noted,  make note of the placement of the shims.  I recall there being brass shims under the pillow blocks and they were not even side to side.
2. i took the head and pillow block assembly to the local bearing place and asked for new bearings.  Timken ones were like $200, or chinese ones were like $25.  I chose the latter.
3.  I took the whole assembly to the local machine shop and asked them to swap the heads and bearings.  Rather than deal with pulling/pressing bearings myself on a shaft with a hundred tiny cutters, i paid $40 and had it back in 30 minutes.  I did this again when i swapped my planer head.  HIGHLY recommended.  

Good luck,
Wayne
It's best to have the bearings in hand and go buy them locally, at at least check the size yourself (when they are in hand) and order them on line.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.