DustKop DC?
If I understand the terminology correctly, this one is a push- through system because the particulates are sucked into the impeller housing and pushed through the cyclone.

I paid $200 for the setup.

I'll email the manufacturer tomorrow for better details and advice on wood chip collection.
Semper fi,
Brad

At first glance, the impeller arrears to be aluminum. I'll check it better when it warms up.
Semper fi,
Brad

Just spoke with the local sales rep for the company. He seems to know his business pretty well.

He says it's a cast aluminum impeller. In a ww'ing shop, he said he has no concerns with its ability to survive impacts. He says that in all the years he's been working for the company (twenty or more? I forget), he's only seen three minor failures, and that even small nuts and bolts really aren't a concern.

He was surprised at my request for collection bags; he says this model was designed for a pair of 55 gallon drums under the cyclone. My assembly drawing, though, clearly states that a pair of 24" diameter bags go there, and the retaining assembly would suggest that, too--each circle has a solid steel ring that lifts up. Between it and the ducting is a foam type material for sealing against a bag. He then asked for the model number and the serial number and says he'll look up where this unit came from and get me more details. He says the "SP" in the serial number indicates a special design, and that what I describe just might be it.

He also said that this design is probably a bit of overkill for a small ww'ing shop, but that overkill never hurt anybody.

He also suggested that I go with a bag-type filter for fine dust removal instead of my plans to modify my Wynn pleated filter to fulfill that duty. He mentioned the ease of cleaning dust from the bag and the longevity of the bag over the pleated filter. I'm not too sold on that, though. My current filter (already paid for!) is rated for .5 micron. A new one (not yet paid for!) I think is only rated for 1 micron. I'll get more details when he calls back.
Semper fi,
Brad

TDKPE--

My current DC is a HF push through unit that has a plastic impeller. I've sucked up a few solid pieces through it, including some small nuts, but aside from the gawdawful clatter the debris makes as it goes through the housing, I've seen no ill effect otherwise. When you say a coarse screen, how big an opening are you talking? My HF unit (with the barest of screen in front of the intake) would often clog when planing maple with my then-straight bladed cutter head but it seems that isn't as much a problem now with my helix cutter.

The housing and cyclone are a single, welded unit; I don't care to try and fashion another separator in front of the impeller.

Phil--

I googled it, now I know the difference between the two types!
Semper fi,
Brad

If you do bags on the bottom, you'll want plastic bags, like industrial garbage bags, not cloth.  You just need to determine the D and find suitable bags.  Clear would be smart.

The filter attaches to the pipe that exits at the top.  Try your Wynn filter first if you like.  If it loads too quickly (doubtful), then changing it out to a bag hanging from the ceiling and with a bucket attached at the bottom (for ease of clean-out) would make sense.

I wouldn't both with a screen or anything else in front of the impeller, IMHO it will be fine.
Yeah, the bags I've seen are plastic, and I believe the company's bags are plastic. Only their filter bags are cloth. Fiber glass, at that.

So far, the only bags I've found come in packs of 45. While the individual price is relatively low, I don't know that I'll use 45 bags before they decay and become brittle, especially at $180 a box!

Yup, I have the diagram showing the set up. My plan is to make an adapter that will allow the Wynn to hang from the out put and then cut a hole in the opposite end and hang a plastic bag (a DC bag, of course) under it to catch any dust. I didn't mention that to the sales guy, which is probably why he thought it might fill too quickly.

You can see the pleated filter set up in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAoj4urS-Y&t=2s
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad,

Not sure what you are planning for you filter adapter but I just made a wooden box. The blower exhaust came in from the side and a hole in the bottom accepted the filter. To hold the filter I cut up some pipe clamps to look like the Wynn attachment clamps and mounted them from the inside of the box.

It is hard to tell size from your picture, but is that cyclone about 20-25" tall from top of barrel to bottom of cone? Do you have any stats on the blower? Size of blower impeller, model, HP? Again it is hard to tell and not sure what you are going to use it for, but the space between the inlet and impeller blades looks very small and any size chip would block the input. Since you are building a custom setup have you considered just putting the blower after the cyclone?

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl
Carl,

It has dual voltage Baldor 3/4hp motor that I'll leave 110V.

I don't intend on modifying the current setup. I'll make an adapter to allow my Wynn filter to connect to the outfeed side.

Attached is the assembly drawing; I don't have the measurements on hand.

To put the blower after the cyclone I'd have to cut it apart and reweld it-- that's a no-go!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I just realized that resized pic was too grainy so I took some more.

The last pic is the Wynn filter I currently have on my HF unit.  The salesman gave me an idea--one configuration of the DustKop setup is hanging the cloth bag filter directly over the cyclone.  I think I'll fab up an adapter to do the same with my Wynn.  Every now and then, when I blow the dust out of it with compressed air, the fine dust will just fall into the collection bags below.  

Hopefully I can set it up this weekend.
Semper fi,
Brad

Kinda tough working on machines when they're all bolted to the wall isn't it?
Raised 

Winkgrin 

Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020