Shower install, start to finish (almost)
Where are you in Maryland Joe?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

That looks terrific.  It is also nice to see a home inspector that does this kind of work themselves.
Snipe, Millersville....off Benfield Blvd.
Thanks for this post!  I am starting to install a bathroom in my basement and I keep going back and forth between doing a 2 piece fiberglass shower or tile.  I was leaning towards the fiberglass because I am intimidated by the mud pan and liner.  Your pics and notes, especially about the gap in the framing for the liner corners, clears up a lot of questions I had.  

Did you get some guidance for this project (website or book) or is this mostly from experience?  I've never done this before so I won't know if I've done something wrong until the very end
(02-06-2018, 11:07 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Snipe,  Millersville....off Benfield Blvd.

My kids are Old Mill Kids.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

We're practically neighbors...
(02-07-2018, 05:11 AM)carwashguy Wrote: Thanks for this post!  I am starting to install a bathroom in my basement and I keep going back and forth between doing a 2 piece fiberglass shower or tile.  I was leaning towards the fiberglass because I am intimidated by the mud pan and liner.  Your pics and notes, especially about the gap in the framing for the liner corners, clears up a lot of questions I had.  

Did you get some guidance for this project (website or book) or is this mostly from experience?  I've never done this before so I won't know if I've done something wrong until the very end

My advice is do your research, make a plan and stick to the plan. Everything you need is at Home Depot although, I tend to buy tile at a tile store, it's generally thicker and nicer than what's available at HD and Lowes. HD has a real nice selection of accent tiles though.

I got information in few different places. Some from The John Bridge Forums. It's a lot like here, if you don't spend the most or buy the best, you're doing it wrong... I don't buy into that philosophy, I'm very frugal by nature. But, there's a lot of real good information there.

There's a couple guys on You Tube that seem to have their act together. I watched a lot of videos. Some of the guys cut a lot of corners. For instance: if he's installing his wall panels before installing the mud-pan, he's cutting corners. If he isn't installing a pre-slope under the mud-pan, he's cutting corners. The pan has to go in first so the wall panels come down on top of the pan to help shed water. There needs to be a pre-sloped mud pan under the pan-liner to direct water to the drain if the liner ever leaks. Seems like most of the good installers are Russian, Italian etc. Some of the guys are very good at tiling but not so good at following the do's an don'ts.

Here's a few guys that seem to have their act together:
Joseph K
Starr Tile
Starr Tile
Sal DiBlasi Pre-Slope
Starr Tile, details on the gap at the bottom of the shower

If you are real concerned about installing the pan, you can order a  Shluter-Kerdi Shower Pan Kit or other pre-made custom pan kits or metal pans. You can also buy fiberglass/plastic pans and frame your shower to fit it. But, you can't always tile a fiberglass or plastic pan. Here are some pre-made pans that you can tile. Just frame around the pan. The reason I install my own pans is cost. Pure and simple. Also, my home has glu-lam "I Joists" and it isn't permissible to cut a hole in them large enough to move a shower drain without compromising their integrity of the joist so that severely limits pre-made pans for my application. So I only had a little wiggle room where my drain could be installed. There was a tub in the location, the drain was moved about 3".

I've installed quite a few 2-piece shower kits. The only downfall is that no matter what, you'll never have a real nice shower. I put one in in my last house and took it back out several years later. I also tend to buy crappy houses and live in them a while and move again and want it to sell quickly when it goes on the market. I'm also a workaholic and self employed. When I'm not working, I work on the house. Nice bathrooms and kitchens dramatically help sell houses. I see the same thing as a home inspector.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Schluter-Systems-KK122PVCE-48-Inch-Stainless/dp/B018A487YI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1518009858&sr=8-9&keywords=schluter+kerdi][/url]

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(02-07-2018, 08:26 AM)joe1086 Wrote: We're practically neighbors...

I'm in Pasadena now, off Smallwood Road, almost to Ft Smallwood.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Looks awesome.

We just had our master bath redone. We had a jetted tub that we never used and a small shower that I hated. Ripped out the tub and had contractors install a walk-in shower in its place. I built the walnut vanity and now we love the master bath. Now I need to finish the space where the small shower was. Going to put in a small vanity and mirrors for a space for my wife for putting on make-up.
(02-07-2018, 10:58 AM)Scoony Wrote: Looks awesome.

We just had our master bath redone. We had a jetted tub that we never used and a small shower that I hated. Ripped out the tub and had contractors install a walk-in shower in its place. I built the walnut vanity and now we love the master bath. Now I need to finish the space where the small shower was. Going to put in a small vanity and mirrors for a space for my wife for putting on make-up.

My wife wanted either a jetted tub or maybe a claw foot stand alone tub in the room. They eat up a ton of floor space and I would have had to build out a bulkhead on the exterior wall to hide the pipes. Couldn't run the drain into the floor because of the engineered I-Joists. Finally talked her out of it. The bathroom has two vanities so I would have had to make a huge bathroom and loose master bedroom space.

Being a home inspector, I get to see a lot of different layouts and talk to a lot of people. It seems that almost nobody uses the tubs. I see a lot of brand new homes with little 3'x3" fiberglass showers and huge Jacuzzi tubs.

On a side note. When I was building the bedroom, I intended to have a TV mounted on a wall. Mounted a box with a cable connection and electrical outlet which would have been behind the TV so no exposed wiring. Prior to sheetrock, the wife says "The TV will be on the dresser so move the outlet and CATV connection down behind the dresser location". So I did it. As soon as the room was done, an Amazon box shows up on the front porch with a TV wall mount. I asked what it was for and she said to mount the TV on the wall. Now I have wires hanging down the wall. She doesn't remember any of the original conversation.
Rolleyes

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS