Help me identify this tool
I picked this up at a garage sale last summer, pretty sure I only paid a dollar or two for it.    Just happened to find it picking up the shop and thought I would post it here.  It was missing the blade, and I thought I would find something to make it work such as an old plane iron.   It's in pretty good shape, the brass "ferule" I don't see any maker identification.  I guess it is a plane?  The bottom has a <1/16" convex curve side to side.  Does it get pulled or pushed?   I thought it kind of resembles a Veritas "pull shave" but without the knob, and this one "pivots". Thanks for all your input.  

(02-07-2018, 06:46 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I picked this up at a garage sale last summer, pretty sure I only paid a dollar or two for it.    Just happened to find it picking up the shop and thought I would post it here.  It was missing the blade, and I thought I would find something to make it work such as an old plane iron.   It's in pretty good shape, the brass "ferule" I don't see any maker identification.  I guess it is a plane?  The bottom has a <1/16" convex curve side to side.  Does it get pulled or pushed?   I thought it kind of resembles a Veritas "pull shave" but without the knob, and this one "pivots". Thanks for all your input.  

Looks like a Box Scraper.  Stanley made one (No 70 Box Scraper) ... I bet others did as well
(02-07-2018, 07:08 PM)BpB123 Wrote: Looks like a Box Scraper.  Stanley made one (No 70 Box Scraper) ... I bet others did as well

Yup, absolutely fantastic for scraping stencils off of wooden boxes, but unfortunately, not much else.  I've had one for 15 years and tried, but never found anything useful it is good at (I'm fresh out of stenciled wooden boxes....) . 
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-07-2018, 07:32 PM)Admiral Wrote: Yup, absolutely fantastic for scraping stencils off of wooden boxes, but unfortunately, not much else.  I've had one for 15 years and tried, but never found anything useful it is good at (I'm fresh out of stenciled wooden boxes....) . 
Laugh
Oh, other than the iron, they are not marked, so likely a Stanley....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Stanley No. 70...used to strip shipping labels off of wooden shipping crates, so the crate can be reused..

Can be either pushed or pulled...Do NOT flatten the sole on this plane, ever.

Blade is also curved, to match the sole.    I used mine on the last project, to level high spots in a glued up panel...

Works nicely....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thanks for all the great replies, I am sure you are right. I must confess once I read the replies, that maybe I posted the same question a while back or maybe someone had a similar that I picked up on. It didn't show up in my personal search history, maybe I used a "fake" name? The box scraper description does some familiar. I am getting to the point where I won't rely on my memory, I am starting to use tags to identify tools for future reference. If all else fails it will make a good conversation piece.

Appreciate all the help.
I got one in terrible condition. IIRC I made a blade from a replacement blade for a heavy duty floor scraper. The replacement blade was about 4" square and I cut a piece out of that and went from there.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have the Stanley 70, which is similar, and the only use I’ve really ever found for it is scraping glue at the glue joint. I like the look of it for some reason, so keep it around hanging on the wall.
I helped a luthier clear out his shop last month, he had one of those IIRC he said he used it to trim up inlay I didn't ask much more as we were busy
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.