Bandsaw Tires
I have an Atlas 12" bandsaw.  When I got it, the tires were not on the wheels.  I glued them back on with super glue after some research online.  Apparently that wasn't the best glue to use.  The tire on the top wheel came off tonight.  It could have been much worse - the blade stayed on the wheel.  So the question is, what's the best way to attach the tire to the wheel?  I was thinking maybe epoxy.  The tire is in ok shape, it's still flexible and is not cracked or torn.
I used silicone out of a leftover caulking tube I had from sealing some window trim.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-07-2018, 09:51 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I have an Atlas 12" bandsaw.  When I got it, the tires were not on the wheels.  I glued them back on with super glue after some research online.  Apparently that wasn't the best glue to use.  The tire on the top wheel came off tonight.  It could have been much worse - the blade stayed on the wheel.  So the question is, what's the best way to attach the tire to the wheel?  I was thinking maybe epoxy.  The tire is in ok shape, it's still flexible and is not cracked or torn.

What kind of tire?  Rubber or one of the urethane versions?  Traditionally rubber tires were held on with rubber cement, so you can use that or some type of epoxy, preferably one that takes a bit of time to set so you can position it on the rim.  If its one of the urethane tires, I'm not so sure.  I had a 14 inch delta that I flipped a couple of years ago that had them and used some epoxy because I was not comfortable with them just sitting on the rims glue-less.  Saw seemed to track fine after I did that.  

I have a 20" delta, when I replaced tires on that, I used the epoxy that was recommended with the tires.
(02-08-2018, 07:02 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: What kind of tire?  

Rubber.  I'll try epoxy.  The super glue I did it by putting the tire on the wheel , then sticking a dowel between the tire and the wheel and squirting glue in, and working my way around.  The epoxy I  have a few minutes open time so can brush on and get better coverage.
When I had to glue some tires onto an Inca (not sure of the tire composition), the advice at the OWWM forum was to use weather stripping adhesive from the auto parts store.  They referred to it as elephant snot, and I soon understood why.

It sure did the trick, though.
I bought a gently used Jet 12" bandsaw from a member here.
The first thing I did was buy urethane tires from here.
Linky

I installed them per instructions & have not had a problem with them yet.
Another vote for the weatherstrip cement from the auto parts store. I would never use epoxy, it will be an enormous PIA for the next person that has to replace the tires.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-...196147_0_0
I'll get the weatherstrip sealant. Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about replacing the tires but they're in good shape.
Buddy of mine just put two new urethane tires on his bench top saw.All he did was soak them for a short period of time in warm water and dish soup.Then he just stretched them on.Been using the saw for a few weeks with no issues.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I think I'd use rubber cement.  It is reversible.  The rubber will wear out eventually.  How will you prep the wheels to accept the new rubber if you use epoxy?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.