Bandsaw Tires
(02-08-2018, 07:56 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Buddy of mine just put two new urethane tires on his bench top saw.All he did was soak them for a short period of time in warm water and dish soup.Then he just stretched them on.Been using the saw for a few weeks with no issues.

Mel

I'm glad I saw this.  I tried getting the urethane tires on my Ryobi and they were too tight to fit.  I will try the hot water method this weekend.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-09-2018, 08:55 AM)Cooler Wrote: I'm glad I saw this.  I tried getting the urethane tires on my Ryobi and they were too tight to fit.  I will try the hot water method this weekend.

You can try it, but keep an eye that the tires don't try and shift themselves off center while its running. As I mentioned before, I had a 14" delta that had urethane tires on it and that was what was happening.  

Epoxy is a sure thing type of glue, but does present a problem down the road if you need to change a tire.  Elephant snot, rubber cement or even some silicone adhesive  are alternatives that may also work.  Urethane tires are pretty thin and without adhesive are relying on friction alone to hold them in place on the rims.  But they are primarily designed to be used on rims that have a crown cast in, so they lay over that and the blade can ride on the top correctly. I think most of the 14" deltas come with crowned rims, but other saws may not and you would want to use a thicker rubber tire on those with glue and then you need to crown the rubber tire itself.

And if the blade has a lot of tension (think wide, resaw type blade) on it and has some lateral motion, it may try to roll the tire off the rim if there is no glue holding it down.  That is what I ran into.  Just keep it in mind.
You'd think they would rib the wheels and inside the tires- problem solved.
Two adhesives for rubber tires from Carter Products....

http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-p...e-adhesive
(02-10-2018, 03:06 AM)Lynden Wrote: Two adhesives for rubber tires from Carter Products....

http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-p...e-adhesive

One is a rubber and gasket adhesive for 20, other is a 2 part epoxy for 20. Both for Carter prices.
I used the rubber gasket adhesive. It seems to be working fine and it remains a bit flexible which I think will help.
So an update... one of the tires came off the saw this weekend. The adhesive failed. I'm going to order the urethane tires and will clean the wheels as best I can before I install them.

Caulk gun silicone..........sticks and stays pliable.......no mess....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've been putting on rubber tires since the late 1980s.  Most adhesives I tried worked fine.  They were mostly contact cement types.  I even tried regular contact cement.  It worked also.  I think that the slow cure epoxy is probably the best I've used.  For polyurethane tires, 3M 5200 hands down.  Takes several days to cure.  Nasty stuff to work with.
I prefer the rubber tires due to durability.  I've got wheels in stock with worn tires that are still stuck well to the wheels.  Those wheels are over 40 years old.  Some rubber gets old, dries out, and developed cracks but as long as the crown is good and the adhesion is good, the cracks are cosmetic.
The failures I've encountered are few and can mostly be attributed to my not cleaning off the processing film on the rubber well enough.  That's a very important detail.  
I recently had a contact type cement turn gooey and the tire  came off.   I installed it in 2007 with some automotive trim adhesive like a contact cement.
More than 12 years ago I went with the urethane tires without any type of adhesive, no problems so far.  Hot water soak did the trick.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood