Inexpensive Oscillating Tool- Move Over Harbor Freight
Saw this in yesterday's ad for a new grocery chain that moved into my area called Lidl.  Not saying this is better quality than the HF variable speed oscillating tool, but the one thing it has over it is the quick attachment and I believe its the same price as the HF variable speed one when its on sale.

https://www.lidl.com/products/295346_A

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Lidl is an Aldi competitor in Europe, and now here. The variety of stuff at my local Aldi'S keeps increasing, though I haven't seen a mult-tool, yet.

Quick change tool changes would be great. Other than that, the HF tool is great, at least for as often as I need one.

John
And you can buy milk and eggs with your multitool!
(02-08-2018, 08:02 AM)pprobus Wrote: Saw this in yesterday's ad for a new grocery chain that moved into my area called Lidl.  Not saying this is better quality than the HF variable speed oscillating tool, but the one thing it has over it is the quick attachment and I believe its the same price as the HF variable speed one when its on sale.

https://www.lidl.com/products/295346_A

Hi Paul - not sure that I'd buy a $29 power tool, but if your need is infrequent (like once or twice a year), then probably would be fine.  For myself, I invested in the Fein tool package below a number of years ago for a specific job, but have probably used it only a dozen times, so likely should have spent my money elsewhere?

But if you desire an inexpensive oscillating multi-purpose tool, spending not too much more might get you a better quality tool (some additional pics added below including a combo from Amazon, where you can at least read a bunch of reviews) - so a tool under $100 might be a consideration, but just my opinion - I should have gone w/ one of those brands years ago, BUT that Fein is a durable beauty - 
Smile Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(02-08-2018, 11:11 AM)giradman Wrote: Hi Paul - not sure that I'd buy a $29 power tool, but if your need is infrequent (like once or twice a year), then probably would be fine.  For myself, I invested in the Fein tool package below a number of years ago for a specific job, but have probably used it only a dozen times, so likely should have spent my money elsewhere?

But if you desire an inexpensive oscillating multi-purpose tool, spending not too much more might get you a better quality tool (some additional pics added below including a combo from Amazon, where you can at least read a bunch of reviews) - so a tool under $100 might be a consideration, but just my opinion - I should have gone w/ one of those brands years ago, BUT that Fein is a durable beauty - 
Smile Dave

Thanks for the sales pitch.  I currently own a Rockwell oscillating tool that is a few years old that I am very happy with, but have wanted to supplement it with a lesser expensive oscillating tool and there are times a cordless version would be nice.  I don't often use mine as it is, so I have a hard time even justifying buying the cheap HF one, but it seems that when I do need to use my oscillating tool, I am switching between different accessories which is why it'd be nice to have a second one, but then in between uses, they'd both be sitting.  I can vouch that for what i consider a "mid priced" oscillating tool, the Rockwell is a good tool, but then I'm not trying to sell anyone on one.  The HF units seem to get pretty good reviews here, just offering another cheap option.
Paul
(02-08-2018, 10:38 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Lidl is an Aldi competitor in Europe, and now here.  The variety of stuff at my local Aldi'S keeps increasing, though I haven't seen a mult-tool, yet.

Quick change tool changes would be great.  Other than that, the HF tool is great, at least for as often as I need one.

John

Yes, Aldi's has been in my are for about a decade now.  I still have not gone into one, the big turn off is I seem to recall you have to be a member or something(?).  I haven't been into the Lidl's yet, but my wife raved about it, something she didn't do about the Aldi's.  My wife understanding is that Aldi's owns Lidl (? I don't know), I thought it might be their "high end" grocery store.
Paul
Aldi and Lidl are competitors, I think they are owned by two brothers.  You don't have to be a member for either.  I like the prices, especially on some things like wine and snacks and beer.  Aldi makes you use a quarter to unlock a shopping cart when you get there and you get it back when you park it in the rack.  Lidl does not and they have some pretty fancy stainless steel carts to boot.   Neither chain will bag your groceries, you have to bring your own bags for that.  I would rather they didn't bother with things like yoga mats and electric tools and concentrated on a better selection of food and grocery, but maybe that is just a German thing and these are both German companies.
I got a used Fein on Craigslist for not too much more than that.  Quite an improvement over the HF one I had.
(02-08-2018, 12:40 PM)pprobus Wrote: Thanks for the sales pitch.  I currently own a Rockwell oscillating tool that is a few years old that I am very happy with, but have wanted to supplement it with a lesser expensive oscillating tool and there are times a cordless version would be nice.  I don't often use mine as it is, so I have a hard time even justifying buying the cheap HF one, but it seems that when I do need to use my oscillating tool, I am switching between different accessories which is why it'd be nice to have a second one, but then in between uses, they'd both be sitting.  I can vouch that for what i consider a "mid priced" oscillating tool, the Rockwell is a good tool, but then I'm not trying to sell anyone on one.  The HF units seem to get pretty good reviews here, just offering another cheap option.

Hi again Paul - LOL! 
Winkgrin  No sales pitch at all - I'm a retired academic radiologist - just amazed when going to Amazon, that a bunch of these OMTs existed for under a hundred bucks - should have probably invested in one of them and also bought a new router - 
Yes  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
I, too, thought Lidl was owned by Aldi, but a Web search showed they are competitors, owned by different companies. Aldi does own Trader Joe'S.

Not advocating one OMT over another. But I've used a Fein, and bought the corded HF with no regrets, for all of about $25 on sale. Whatever is superior about the Fein is lost on me.

John