finish recommends and ideas
Hello fellow woodworkers

I am looking for some advice on a picking a finish for my barrister bookcase made with red oak.
The problem is I don't really have a idea on what I want to do to finish it.
I was originally thinking about BLO and then poly or a light shade of shellac then poly or BLO and shellac.
I have applied shellac in the past but struggled getting a good finish because my application method was a brush.
I am not opposed to using other products but I want a finish that looks correct for this type of project.
I am even open to the idea of a light shade of wood stain and then a finish. I  basically looking for ideas that
are easy for a average skilled woodworker that would produce a beautiful finish that is fairly easy to obtain a great finish.
Do you guys have any thoughts?
If I choose a wood stain or BLO as the first coat do I apply it before I assemble the cases?
I loaded a picture from the plan to give you a idea what I am building

Thanks for any input

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-08-2018, 10:06 AM)uneswoodshop Wrote: Hello fellow woodworkers

I am looking for some advice on a picking a finish for my barrister bookcase made with red oak.
The problem is I don't really have a idea on what I want to do to finish it.
I was originally thinking about BLO and then poly or a light shade of shellac then poly or BLO and shellac.
I have applied shellac in the past but struggled getting a good finish because my application method was a brush.
I am not opposed to using other products but I want a finish that looks correct for this type of project.
I am even open to the idea of a light shade of wood stain and then a finish. I  basically looking for ideas that
are easy for a average skilled woodworker that would produce a beautiful finish that is fairly easy to obtain a great finish.
Do you guys have any thoughts?
If I choose a wood stain or BLO as the first coat do I apply it before I assemble the cases?
I loaded a picture from the plan to give you a idea what I am building

Thanks for any input
I recently finished a QSWO mission style project.

There are guides to help you achieve a "stickley" type finish.

Basic process is:

Transtint Dye
General Finishes Seal a Cell
General Finishes Gel Stain
General Finishes Arm r Seal

The colors I used got me this:
[Image: 1730169-438x.jpg]

You should find the guides if you check general finishes website or google.
My advise is to avoid blo on oak. Go to Homestead Finishing'S website and read Jeff'S article on Stickley finishing. Use part or all of his process. He uses Arm-R-Seal as the topcoat, and it will give a great and durable finish with nothing more than a rag or paper towel.

John