Air Compressors
(04-06-2018, 08:31 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Fast forward two months.

Its still leaking. I cant find it. Its not leaking where I did the JB weld fix. I replumbed the connector. No change. Its so old....it could be leaking anywhere.

So I started the search again....I went and looked at the 21 gallon HF unit....I see why its $150 with coupon and why people complain about it crapping out within a year. You get what you pay for. 

I started reading about belt driven units and took some advice here and decided that to get something that was going to be reliable for years to come, the wallet had to be opened. I narrowed it down to a few and what I decided one was this:

[Image: 25653_2000x2000.jpg]

Seems to get fairly good reviews online. 

Specs were good for $500....like that I can run it on 220V, 5.0 CFM at 90 PSI is likely more than I will ever need. 4 year warranty seemed almost the best I found at that price point. 20,000 hour bearing life, 100% duty cycle, solid rubber wheels...yadda yadda.

I went and put eyes and hands on one this morning and was impressed so much one followed me home. Fit and finish is good, its not even in the same ballpark of the HF I looked at. It was next to the comparable IR unit and I really think it was nicer looking and as good or better built.

Gotta do the wiring switch monday and then break it in, but everything so far I am very pleased.

Is this the 3 HP, 60 gallon unit? Got a model #?

Doug
Doug its 20gal 2hp

NorthStar Belt Drive Single-Stage Portable Air Compressor - 2 HP, 20-Gallon, Vertical, 5.0 CFM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007W0YSG8/ref...1Bb7KQH4BY

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(10-29-2018, 12:52 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Doug its 20gal 2hp

NorthStar Belt Drive Single-Stage Portable Air Compressor - 2 HP, 20-Gallon, Vertical, 5.0 CFM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007W0YSG8/ref...1Bb7KQH4BY

Thanks Mike. Any advantage to this one for a little more dough? I notice that it does not have the built in wheels which could be somewhat of a disadvantage. 

Thanks,

Doug
(10-29-2018, 11:09 AM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks Mike. Any advantage to this one for a little more dough? I notice that it does not have the built in wheels which could be somewhat of a disadvantage. 

Thanks,

Doug

The small one is 6 cfm at 40 psi and runs on 120V power, suggesting its max running power is actually around 1.5 hp.  The big one has a similar pump and a 3 hp motor, which the air delivery specs agree with 12.5 cmf at 40 psi.  And there's the rule-of-thumb stating 4 cfm per hp at 40 psi, though that's hardly something to bet the farm on.

The big one has a 60% duty cycle, so in effect you get around 7.5 cfm average.  The small one is 6 cfm and the site claims 100% duty cycle.  So you get more air flow on average, or more importantly twice as much in short intervals like impact tool use.  Continuous use, like an air sander, might require a little more care.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-28-2018, 09:41 PM)Tapper Wrote: Is this the 3 HP, 60 gallon unit? Got a model #?

Doug

(10-29-2018, 12:52 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Doug its 20gal 2hp

You got it right, Mike. For something on a space constraint, its been a great compressor. Very happy with it.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)