Minwax stain shelf life
While I was going to use Tung Oil to deepen the color of the main wood on my project, I realized I had a mostly full can of Minwax natural stain which could still help me achieve the deeper color without having to spend more money. However, I've had this can of stain for several years. It's still liquid inside, but is there any way to tell if it's still good? I think I'll test it, but if it works just fine on the scrap, can I be absolutely sure it won't ruin my project? Thanks!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(02-10-2018, 08:00 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: While I was going to use Tung Oil to deepen the color of the main wood on my project, I realized I had a mostly full can of Minwax natural stain which could still help me achieve the deeper color without having to spend more money. However, I've had this can of stain for several years. It's still liquid inside, but is there any way to tell if it's still good? I think I'll test it, but if it works just fine on the scrap, can I be absolutely sure it won't ruin my project? Thanks!

Hi Kingwood..... - your started this discussion HERE - the subject is directly related and you should have put this post into that thread instead of fragmenting the discussion for others who may just be joining in on the thread - I would suggest reposting there and close this thread.  Just my 2 cents - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(02-10-2018, 08:10 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Kingwood..... - your started this discussion HERE - the subject is directly related and you should have put this post into that thread instead of fragmenting the discussion for others who may just be joining in on the thread - I would suggest reposting there and close this thread.  Just my 2 cents - Dave
Smile

I tried to close the thread, but it wouldn't let me. I tried the stain out and I think I'll just get another can of it at the store after all since the older stuff looks kinda "meh". Thanks!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I have several colors of Minwax stain and most of them are many years old.  Takes a few minutes to get the pigment mixed in well, but I've never had any problem using them.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(02-10-2018, 08:00 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: While I was going to use Tung Oil to deepen the color of the main wood on my project, I realized I had a mostly full can of Minwax natural stain which could still help me achieve the deeper color without having to spend more money. However, I've had this can of stain for several years. It's still liquid inside, but is there any way to tell if it's still good? I think I'll test it, but if it works just fine on the scrap, can I be absolutely sure it won't ruin my project? Thanks!

I've used Minwax stain that was probably 30 years old. If you're unsure, try mixing in a small amount of mineral spirits (the real stuff, not the "green stuff") and swirling it around. Most remaining solids should dissolve.

I've never had a can of minwax stain go bad.  Sometimes it takes a min. to get mixed up. If money is a problem why spend it on worthless tung oil?.  Blo is a lot cheaper  and imo works better.  Either one takes a few days to dry, which shouldn't matter.  People will spend months and hundreds of dollars building a project then want to apply a finish in a day.
I have gallons of opened Minwax, and it's all still as good as when I bought it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020